VMware Cloud Community
M1nd3
Contributor
Contributor

vSAN License

Hello everyone, I have a 3 node setup all configured as single site cluster. Purchased Essential kit, but decided that i need High availability. I have requested an upgrade from Essential to Standard and vSAN license for my system. And the VMware partner came back with price of nearly 40K. Is this real, does anyone know the vSAN license price for small setup like this. As i think there must be a mistake somewhere. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I am not sure what the price is in the region you are in, but in EMEA it seems to be 3500 per CPU. Which means with 6 CPUs you would be around 21k euro. That is based on this website: https://www.ahead-it.eu/en/shop/software/vmware/vsan-1/vmware-hci-std-cpu-c-storage-vmware-hci-kit-6...

fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

I'm not going into the price, but the vSAN licensing guide that you find here:

VMware vSAN White Paper

there are these types of licenses:

VMware HCI Kit bundles
New licensing and packaging options were introduced with vSAN. VMware HCI
Kit ™ bundles simplify the purchase of vSphere and vSAN licenses. There are five
data center kits with per-CPU licensing and two ROBO kits with per-VM licensing:

• VMware HCI Kit Essentials (for 6 CPUs) includes vSphere Essentials plus
and vSAN Standard.
• VMware HCI Kit Standard (per CPU) includes vSphere Standard
and vSAN Standard.
• VMware HCI Kit Advanced (per CPU) includes vSphere Enterprise Plus
and vSAN Advanced.
• VMware HCI Kit Enterprise (per CPU) includes vSphere Enterprise Plus
and vSAN Enterprise

Probably for your needs the:
VMware HCI Kit Essentials (for 6 CPUs) includes vSphere Essentials plus

read the document and check

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

M1nd3
Contributor
Contributor

@fabio1975  Thank you for you replay. That was helpful. Any idea, if the HCI Essential includes vSphere Essential Plus, then it means that it includes all the features which vSphere Essential Plus kit includes? Such as High availability, vSphere replication, vMotion and so on? Thank you.

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

yes

VMware HCI Kit Essentials (for 6 CPUs) includes vSphere Essentials plus
and vSAN Standard.

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

From the current price book for central EMEA:

Customer Purchasing Program T1 VMware HCI 6 Kit Essentials for 3 Nodes (Max 2 processors per node)  ||  SNS is Required and sold separately. Includes quantity of 1 VMware vSphere 7 Essentials Plus Kit for 3 nodes (Max 2 processors per node) and quantity of 6 VMware vSAN 7 Standard for 1 processor. = 18900,- EUR
Production Support/Subscription for VMware HCI 6 Kit Essentials for 3 Nodes (Max 2 processors per node) for 3 years  ||  Technical Support, 24 Hour Sev 1 Support -- 7 days a week. = 13100,- EUR

but you should expect a additional 20% discount.

Btw. A lot of our vSAN deployments are using 4-6 nodes... with only one CPU  each to reduce licensing costs. The hardware vendors like DellEMC and HPE will sell vSAN together with hardware as well... sometimes cheaper than a VMware Partner can.

Regards,
Joerg