VMware Cloud Community
MC1903
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSAN File Service Configuration Fails with "General vSAN error. com.vmware.vsan.clustermgmt.fileservice.msg.dvsconfigissue"

Hi,

I am trying to test vSAN File Services in my lab and I am getting the above error during the configuration.

I am running vCenter Server version 7.0 build 16620013 and my 3 nested hosts are running ESXi version 7.0 build 16324942.

For completeness, this cluster was deployed on 6.5u1 and was then upgraded to 6.7u3 and finally to 7.0.

vSAN is configured and working just fine in all other respects.

pastedImage_6.png

pastedImage_8.png

pastedImage_1.png

I have created a vDS port group specifically for vSAN File Services. The error is suggesting this is the issue, but it's just a standard port group.

pastedImage_2.png

I have created A Records (with PTR's) in my DNS for the 3 appliances.

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

The error appears within about 5 seconds of starting the reconfigure task.:

pastedImage_5.png

Does any one have any ideas?

As always, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

M

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MC1903
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Doh, school boy error... Note to self...Read the prerequisites TWICE, check the system meets them and then RECHECK!.. 🙂

pastedImage_0.png

Turns out that my vDS had NOT been upgraded from 6.5.0.!! I upgraded it to 7.0.0 and the reconfigure task runs as expected.

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

I feel a bit silly, but at the same time I expect the wizard to have checked the prerequisites and this should have been flagged.

deppingTheBobkin​ Would one of you gents be able to flag this to engineering for review in a future release?

Thanks.

M

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MC1903
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Doh, school boy error... Note to self...Read the prerequisites TWICE, check the system meets them and then RECHECK!.. 🙂

pastedImage_0.png

Turns out that my vDS had NOT been upgraded from 6.5.0.!! I upgraded it to 7.0.0 and the reconfigure task runs as expected.

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

I feel a bit silly, but at the same time I expect the wizard to have checked the prerequisites and this should have been flagged.

deppingTheBobkin​ Would one of you gents be able to flag this to engineering for review in a future release?

Thanks.

M

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello MC1903

Thanks for highlighting this and also fair play to you for figuring it out faster than your average bear likely could :smileygrin:

We will aim to open a feature request PR for this this week (weather permitting as I am just back from holidays and likely going to have backlog of duties).

Being it part of the pre-check/wizard aside, I feel that at the least the error message could provide more information than it did here e.g. stating to update the vDS before re-attempting as opposed to fairly generic 'dvsconfigissue' (but at least it points in the right direction).

Bob

MC1903
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Bob, much appreciated.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I will file it Bob, so you can continue with your normal duties Smiley Happy

depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Filed the feature request and it is picked up by engineering to ensure you as a customer will be informed about the requirements when going through this wizard.