VMware Cloud Community
suhag79
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vSAN - Compliance status out of date

pastedImage_0.png

Hi Team - we have observed above out of date compliance Status under Virtual objects. Can anyone of let me know what does it mean and how to fix this.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello suhag79​,

"found that was one OS ISO file i copied long back and not the VM object."

Well actually, creating a folder (e.g. for ISOs) on vsandatastore creates a vSAN namespace Object but as this is not tied to any VM, there is no GUI method of checking or applying Storage Policy to it.

So, if this red 'Out of date' is bothering you, remove the ISO and folder if they are not needed.

If you wanted to store ISOs (or any 'file') on vsandatastore without the folder object showing as 'Out of date' then you can create a dummy VM and use this namespace folder to store these - do ensure that the used space per namespace folder does not exceed 255GB or issues may be encountered.

Bob

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello,

Re-apply/Apply a Storage Policy to the Object - it doesn't appear to be associated with one there from the list details (but its layout suggests it has default SP  applied).

Bob

0 Kudos
suhag79
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

How would i know what object is this and how to re-apply it.

Under below screen all VMs are compliant

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello @suhag79,

Well in this case the Object in question is unassociated thus why it is appearing in the 'Other' section of Virtual Objects.

You are not seeing it under Storage Policies as it likely doesn't have one applied (or is no longer being managed under spbm).

There are a few reasons why otherwise Healthy Objects would appear in this state:

- .vmdk Objects that are left over after improperly deleting a VM (e.g. deleting the namespace).

- .vswp Objects no longer in use by a VM but that have not been discarded.

- Objects located in sub-directories e.g. NOT attached to any descriptor located directly in a VM namespace - many third-party applications (back-up/VDI) seem to be able to place Objects like this and with valid Storage Policy attributes but spbm may be unware of them.

You can find out what this Object is via:

RVC:

>vsan.object_info <pathToCluster> 41c94d5a-3848-2f2f-04e7-005d737c8f4d

CLI:

# /usr/lib/vmware/osfs/bin/objtool getAttr -u 41c94d5a-3848-2f2f-04e7-005d737c8f4d

Bob

suhag79
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have compare that object number in vSAN datastore folder manually and found that was one OS ISO file i copied long back and not the VM object.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello suhag79​,

"found that was one OS ISO file i copied long back and not the VM object."

Well actually, creating a folder (e.g. for ISOs) on vsandatastore creates a vSAN namespace Object but as this is not tied to any VM, there is no GUI method of checking or applying Storage Policy to it.

So, if this red 'Out of date' is bothering you, remove the ISO and folder if they are not needed.

If you wanted to store ISOs (or any 'file') on vsandatastore without the folder object showing as 'Out of date' then you can create a dummy VM and use this namespace folder to store these - do ensure that the used space per namespace folder does not exceed 255GB or issues may be encountered.

Bob