VMware Cloud Community
Matthias86
Contributor
Contributor

vSAN All Flash vs. Single SSD Performance

Hey,

we have recently received our new VSAN Cluster. This consists of 4x Dell R730 nodes, each with a Dell H730 mini HBA controller and 2x 400GB SSD write intensive and 6x 1,6TB read intensive SSD's. The vSAN network is 10Gbit.

Having the VSAN set ready, we made a few test with the VMware IO Analyzer appliance. We were a litte surprised at the results. With 4k random read, we measured approximately 50,000 IOPS . With 4k random write even only 11,000 IOPS. So we removed one host from the cluster and then tested a single SSD with exactly the same workload. There we have 50,000 IOPS at 4k random write and even 154,000 IOPS at 4k random read.

So what do you think? Are the results ok, or do we have a bigger performance problem here? I would expect, that my vSAN Cluster is faster than my single SSD.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

Good morning, I'm assuming you have the dedupe and compression on.  Here is an article on how to properly measure performance.

How to correctly test the performance of Virtual SAN 6.2 deduplication feature - VMware VROOM! Blog ...

Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos