VMware Cloud Community
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSAN 6.7 migration of old ESX data

We will be doing a Server refresh in the next few weeks. i have a question of migration of data from old ESX 5.01 to new ESX 6.7 and vSAN.

i wish do to storage vMotion from our old Tegile to our new vSAN, what would be the best way to move the data.

add the vSAN to the old ESXi 5.01? or add the Tegile to ESX 6.7. then remove and add the VM? then storage vMotion?

we will not be moving the old vCenter.

Stephen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok then. Your option will be to connect your Tegile to the new 6.7 hosts and swing the VMs. There are some important considerations to watch, including the microcode of that Tegile to either support or, at least, not freak out when connected to a much, much newer version of ESXi. You might also want to read my article for some considerations when it comes to moving the VMs over.

Upgrading vSphere through migration

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You say ESXi 5.01. Is this 5.0 or 5.1? And so you have two separate vCenter Servers as well? What are those versions?

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes we are on 5.01, yes we will have two vCenters one is 5.01 and the new one will be 6.7.

we don't need any of the data from the old vCenter

we are setting up a new vSphere environment the only thing coming over is most of the VM's (the ones we need)

Stephen

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no "5.01" so which version are we talking?

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

5.0 build 2509828

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok then. Your option will be to connect your Tegile to the new 6.7 hosts and swing the VMs. There are some important considerations to watch, including the microcode of that Tegile to either support or, at least, not freak out when connected to a much, much newer version of ESXi. You might also want to read my article for some considerations when it comes to moving the VMs over.

Upgrading vSphere through migration

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

that was what i was thinking. and i did check the Tegile is on the 6.7 HCL and the version i'm running also looks good to.

Thanks.

Stephen

0 Kudos