VMware Cloud Community
roman79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSAN 6.6 - Online check of vSAN health fails with the general vSAN error.

Hi All,

I have experience an interesting behaviour with vSAN 6.6 Online Health check.

VCSA gets access to the Internet through the proxy server. Proxy settings were setup and tested in the vCenter Server Appliance Management Interface. CEIP was enabled as well.

Proxy.png

Now, when I press the 'Retest with Online health' button in Monitor > vSAN > Health menu, after few minutes the task fails with the following error message: "Failed to perform online check of vSAN health, because: Cannot collect or send data to VMware PhoneHome service."

Error.png

What is more interesting, in the vSAN Health report it shows Online health check as 'Disabled'.

Check state.png

Any ideas of what can cause this to happen?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AishR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. Is the vCenter server running on custom certificates or default certificate ?

2. Is the certificates expired on the vCenter server ?

0 Kudos
roman79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi AishR​,

Thank you for asking this.

VCSA is running on the default self-signed certificates and they're not expired.

Again, to sum up:

• CEIP is enabled,
  • Proxy has been configure in both vSphere Web Client (HA Cluster > Configure > vSAN > General) and VAMI,
  • HCL Database update works,
  • VAMI update check works,
  • vSAN Online Health check fails and Online Health test has status 'Disabled'.

I have opened the SR # 17499310406 with VMware and they're investigating this issue at the moment.

I post more information when available.

0 Kudos
jwininger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Were you able to resolve this issue?  I see the same problem in my environment.

0 Kudos
roman79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi jwininger​,

Thank you for asking this.

Not really, the same issue happens in vSAN 6.6.1. The last I heard from VMware GSS was that it is a well-known issue with vSAN behind proxy, and it should be resolved in the future releases.

I will follow up on this case again to see if there is any progress and let you know.

0 Kudos
HFMudd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey roman79​ did this ever meet with a resolution?

0 Kudos
roman79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi HFMudd​,

Sorry it took me a while to reply.

The workaround with changing local OS settings doesn't last through system upgrades - https://virtualnomadblog.com/2018/02/07/vsan-6-6-1-vsan-build-recommendation-engine-health-issue-res....

I am planning to upgrade vSAN infrastructure to version 6.7 U1 and see if it improves proxy support.

Any resolution from your side?

Thanks,

0 Kudos