VMware Cloud Community
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vSAN 6.0 - Virtual SAN Default Storage Policy on a VM show's Not Applicable

My VM's on my vSAN datastore are all showing "Not Applicable".

The weird part is that SSD caching is still working. How do I know? Because my SQLIO performance tests indicate in the hundreds MB/s and my spindles are only one single SAS6 Drives. No possible way one spindle drive can do that.

Now the Virtual SAN Default Storage Policy is also showing Noncompliant but I can't seem to find the cause.

Where do I look?

I'm confused......lol :smileyconfused:

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
crosdorff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Begin with restarting the profile driven storage daemon in vcenter.

When using the appliance, login with ssh and run '/etc/init.d/vmware-sps restart'.

(Or reboot the whole appliance Smiley Happy)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
zdickinson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Good afternoon, can you provide some screenshots?  vSAN 5.5 or vSAN 6.0?  Do you have the vSAN Health Check Plug-In installed?  It sounds like you have some components/disk groups failed.  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos
elerium
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You'll also want to check storage provider status, if something is wrong with the storage provider/SMS layer, you'll have problems with any of storage policy funtionality, even though your VSAN is otherwise fully functional.

Check page 10-11 under Verify the Storage Provider status in the POC: https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsan/VMware_Virtual_SAN_POC_Guide.pdf

0 Kudos
crosdorff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Begin with restarting the profile driven storage daemon in vcenter.

When using the appliance, login with ssh and run '/etc/init.d/vmware-sps restart'.

(Or reboot the whole appliance Smiley Happy)

COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

My vCenter Server is Windows 2012 R2.

I cycled the service "vimPBSM" (AKA "VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage Service"), then initiated the "Check Compliance" in the "Virtual SAN Default Storage Policy" and all went into "Complaint".

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos