VMware Cloud Community
Pille66
Contributor
Contributor

test versions of enterprise esx with vcenter and vSAN

hello all

i develop some peace of hardware which looks like, right now, its a masterwork. the hardware is focused at the vSAN and esxi. my project involves 9 Servers (single CPU with up to 16 cores/CPU) with 128 gb ram and ssh.

for testing purpose (performance, heat, ...) i would need an ESXi for all servers with vSAN and tools like automated provisioning, performance tools, analyse tools.

is there any developer version out there (not for prod enviroment) which i can buy for less money as it cost official. i cant pay 5000 per cpu license. for 10 it would be 50k. just for testing (until i can sell the product) its a lot of money

also - what do i need to do to get certified from VM for my configuation ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Looks like an unsupported configuration you may need to contact the certification team

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Pille,

"is there any developer version out there (not for prod enviroment) which i can buy for less money as it cost official"?

Yes, you can use Evaluation License for up to 60 days for vSphere (ESXi, vCenter) and vSAN, this has the same features as Enterprise Plus vSphere/Enterprise vSAN:

Download VMware vSAN Evaluation

my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=vsphere-6

"what do i need to do to get certified from VM for my configuation ?"

Make sure your cluster design and netwrorking adhere to the guidelines for configuring these.

Ensure you are using hardware components that are certified by VMware and the product you are using it for:

e.g. servers/NICs/Processors etc. for ESXi that are listed on the HCL for the version you are using:

www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

And for vSAN, the RAID/IO Controller, Cache-tier SSD and Capacity-tier HDD or SSDs are certified for the version of vSAN you intend to use:

www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=vsan

(click 'Build Your Own based on Certified Components.')

parmarr

Not sure what you mean by unsupported configuration (not enough details provided here to think or say that!).

Though yes, OP did mention considering some SSDs that are not on the HCL in his other thread.

Bob

0 Kudos