vSAN1

View Only
  • 1.  removing witness property from ESXi host

Posted Feb 25, 2023 04:09 PM

Hi all,

In my home lab have messed up my VCSA completely so reinstalled it from OVF anew.

All 4 ESXi hosts have been able to reconnect to new VCSA just fine, but witness for stretched cluster vSAN (from previous VCSA's install) refusing to accept role as witness on new VCSA.

How to remove that knowledge from it and reattach it to new VCSA's vSAN cluster?? Reinstall isn't problematic, but for learning purposes would want to know..  That's entire idea of home lab in first place

My config:

VCSA 7.03

ESXi - 4x 7.01 with vSAN stretched cluster config

Licencing - VMUG

• 2.  RE: removing witness property from ESXi host
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 25, 2023 08:55 PM

, is this a 2+2+1 configuration?

Is the Witness also joined to the new vCenter inventory? If no then start with connecting that at Datacenter level (not in the cluster).

What do you see at Cluster > Configure > vSAN > Fault Domains? If you see 'out of inventory Witness' still after it is added to vCenter inventory then try 'esxcli vsan cluster leave' on the Witness, then use 'Replace Witness' function in the above UI.

• 3.  RE: removing witness property from ESXi host

Posted Feb 26, 2023 02:38 PM

Hi,

Yes, it is 2 fault domains x 2 hosts in each +1 witness.

I had no ability to add witness at this stage at all, it was saying 'witness is part of another cluster'

Simply moving host from Cluster to Datacentre level did not made difference too, but commandline did the work.

Stretched cluster is working, now just upgrading disk format.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: removing witness property from ESXi host

Posted Feb 26, 2023 07:18 PM

, If it was in the vSphere cluster then it would have joined as a regular node (e.g. why it was showing as Agent state instead of Witness) so having it in correct location in inventory is also important and necessary here.

It wouldn't have allowed selecting it as Witness then if it was still connected to the cluster or still had vSAN enabled, doing cluster leave on it would ensure it left fully and had vSAN disabled allowing to claim it as Witness for the cluster.