VMware Cloud Community
TacoSauce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"Other" File Type is the biggest consumer of our VSAN Space Utilization Graph....???

Hi,

Today I noticed the space utilization graph of our VSAN Datastore. When I looked at the figures I was surprised!  Why is the "Other" File Type over the 5TB and our biggest consumer of our VSAN datastore??? There's no backup data or ISO's on our VSAN and when I browse the datastore I doesn't find any strange files c.q. directories.

Does anyone has an explanation for this?

vsan-004.png

With regards,

Wouter

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TacoSauce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Zach, you're explanation seems logical and I hope it's the true Smiley Happy. Maybe VMware can clarify this in future KB documentation.

Cheers,

Wouter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
zdickinson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

My understanding is that this is just a UI error and it not being vSAN aware.  The Virtual Disks and Other should be roughly the same.  He have 10 TB of virtual disks and then 10.1 TB of Other.  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos
TacoSauce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Zach, thanks for your quick reply.

You suggest that everyone who's using vsan or an other kind of datastore is having this issue?

with regards,

Wouter

0 Kudos
bastaramus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello!

I have the same problem. There are not *ISO files or unregistered VMs on VSAN datastore. Other non-VSAN datastores are OK.
I can see duplicate files. For all directory in my datastore. Is it normall?

vsan trouble 2.png

vsan trouble.png

Also df -h shows the true information about datastore utilization. It is not UI problem

df-h.png

0 Kudos
zdickinson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Depending on what version of ESX you're on, yes every vSAN install would look like this in the GUI.  As for the duplicate, I the GUI is not vSAN aware and shows both copies of a VMDK, instead of one.  To test this, if you have enough hosts, change the FTT to 2 and see if there is thne 3 copies of the file displayed in the GUI.

The space seems right.  If I have 1 TB of VMDKs, I will have 2 TB used on the vSAN with FTT = 1.  Plus a little meta-data.  Thank you, Zach.

TacoSauce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Zach, you're explanation seems logical and I hope it's the true Smiley Happy. Maybe VMware can clarify this in future KB documentation.

Cheers,

Wouter

0 Kudos