VMware Cloud Community
Andre1978
Contributor
Contributor

nvme namespace creation samsung PM1735 ssd

Hello,

In my lab setup I have two hosts with 4x960GB sas ssd's. I also have in each host a samsung PM1735 SSD currently not configured yet.For test purposes I would like to carve up my PM1735 SSD into multiple namespaces in a lab environment. So that vmware sees them as 4 individual disks / namespaces with 800GB capacity each..

I am not really an expert in the esxcli command line interface. 
What command should I used to create those 4 individual namespaces of 800GB on each host?
What command should I use to attach those 4 individual namespaces of 800GB on each host?
Would you use the samsung ssd just for caching purposes in a full flash setup? Or also as a capacity tier?
I hope some experienced vmware vsan admin can help me out here with the cli commands. Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Unfortunately namespaces are not supported.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@Andre1978 , Do note what Duncan said above regarding this being unsupported - only consider doing this if this is a lab and there is no data on it you even remotely care about.

All of the necessary commands (namely create and attach) are here:
https://code.vmware.com/docs/11743/esxi-7-0-esxcli-command-reference/namespace/esxcli_nvme.html 

Examples of the syntax usage of the create and attach commands can be found here:
https://www.micron.com/about/blog/2019/september/vmware-vsan-nvme-namespace-magic-split-1-ssd-into-2...e

0 Kudos
lili_Wang
Contributor
Contributor

你好,请问你的PM1735 SSD,在VSAN 6.7U3环境下,固件识别是正常的么

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@lili_Wang Please note that this is an English-speaking sub-community - if you want to discuss topics in your native language then use the sub-community for that language (or translate your posts before posting them and post them in vSAN sub-community).

From Google translate:

"Hello, may I ask your PM1735 SSD, under the VSAN 6.7U3 environment, is the firmware recognition normal?"

That appears to be an entirely different topic than what OP asked here and hence you should post that as a new topic.

0 Kudos
Andre1978
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Currently the samsung SSD is reserved for flash drive in vsan 7. But it's way to big in size for my use. 
Hence the question of the namespave and seperating the drive in multiple disks.
I am aware this is a single point of failure but it's a lab environment and all vm's are backed up daily.
So if for some reason a diskgroup goes down it's not a problem,

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I never tried this, but keep in mind that the driver also needs to support namespaces... Some folks have done it on Linux already, this may give a hint of how to do it: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/samsung-pm1735-no-drivers-no-firmware-found-anywhe...

I don't have unclaimed disks in my lab, so I can't try it out.

0 Kudos