VMware Cloud Community
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

move vMotion traffic along vSAN

Hi,

Objective:

Currently vMotion is attached to the vmkernel used by the Management traffic on a standard switch which only has 1 Gbit/s uplinks.

Aim is to move the vMotion traffic to start using the 10 Gbit/s uplinks (which are currently in use by vSAN as Active/Standby)

Steps:

Create a new VLAN and respective network (ex: /24)

Allow/add the newly created vLAN on the hosts uplinks switchport trunks

On the Distributed Switch in use by vSAN having 2 uplinks (1 active and 1 standby)

Create a new distributed portgroup to be used by vMotion

Attach the portgroup to the newly created VLAN that will be dedicated to vMotion

Set the Teaming and Failover to use the vSAN standby adapter as its Active Uplink with the remaining one set as Standby (reverse order)

On each host in the cluster

Add a vmkernel adapter

Select the newly created distributed portgroup

Tick the vMotion as Enabled Services

Set an IPv4 address

Finish

Repeat the above (add distributed portgroup per cluster and vmkernel adapter for each host)

For each cluster distributed switch in use by vSAN, in NIOC change vSAN traffic from 50 to 100 (Leave all else as default)

Once all done, remove vMotion traffic from the Management vmkernel

Do you think the above steps are correct/complete as plan is to do this on a live environment? (DRS is disabled on all clusters so no VM migrations expected)

Any tests you can recommend (other then trying to migrate some VM's) to proof all configuration is correct/working?

Welcome any thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

this looks good to me, I would just recommend to make sure you have Network IO Control enabled as well. When a NIC fails it could happen that vMotion claims most of your bandwidth on that single remaining NIC. I would recommend to give vSAN at least 60% of the bandwidth to prevent a situation where you starve vSAN traffic.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

this looks good to me, I would just recommend to make sure you have Network IO Control enabled as well. When a NIC fails it could happen that vMotion claims most of your bandwidth on that single remaining NIC. I would recommend to give vSAN at least 60% of the bandwidth to prevent a situation where you starve vSAN traffic.

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I would also recommend to set vMotion to "Low" within NIOC and keep vSAN "high". Shares only, don't use reservations or limits.

Reservation, Shares and Limits | VMware® vSAN™ Network Design | VMware

Network Resource Pools | VMware® vSAN™ Network Design | VMware

0 Kudos