VMware Cloud Community
dee0606
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

mix of vSAN and iSCSI on physical adapters

Hi,

I've 4 network cards used for the vSAN ready nodes currently there is requirement to add the VMware software iSCSI on the vSAN node for the external storage.

Does it support by vSAN/iSCSI will continue to work or should move the iSCSI traffic to new physical adapter?

dee0606_0-1672834278428.png

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@dee0606 Ideally you should keep storage (or any potentially heavy throughput traffic types e.g. vMotion, FT logging) on their own vmnics - assuming you don't have the 2 vSAN vmnics in a LAG (e.g. just using Active/Standby), you would likely be fine putting the iSCSI on the same 2 vmnics but in opposite vmnics being Active/Standby configuration.

What this would mean is that they would only ever be both actively using the same vmnic in a scenario where one of the vmnics is down.

You should as well be putting the iSCSI traffic on its own vmkernel adapter in a different subnet than the vSAN and Management traffic.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@dee0606 Ideally you should keep storage (or any potentially heavy throughput traffic types e.g. vMotion, FT logging) on their own vmnics - assuming you don't have the 2 vSAN vmnics in a LAG (e.g. just using Active/Standby), you would likely be fine putting the iSCSI on the same 2 vmnics but in opposite vmnics being Active/Standby configuration.

What this would mean is that they would only ever be both actively using the same vmnic in a scenario where one of the vmnics is down.

You should as well be putting the iSCSI traffic on its own vmkernel adapter in a different subnet than the vSAN and Management traffic.

dee0606
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks,Yes I'm going use without lag.I'm going to separate the vSAN and iscsi traffic with two different port group and two different clean.So that I won't distrub the kernel traffic of those as well as i can achieve the network binding for iscsi. Is my scenario going to work?

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@dee0606 Do you mean iSCSI port binding? If so then no, that would only be applicable if you were using multiple vmks for iSCSI with their own individual vmnics.

0 Kudos
dee0606
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes,I've created the separate the vmk to resolve it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos