VMware Cloud Community
caneagu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

iSCSI and Windows Failover Cluster Instance (FCI)

Hello,

I am wondering if the following setup it is supported.

I would like to export from my vSAN cluster iSCSI volume(s) to two different Windows Server 2016 physical hosts, and configure those in Failover Instance (FCI), fow which you need shared storage.

As i found out here , this was stil in the roadmap for vSAN 6.5 The same subject is discussed here again.

Do you have any idea if this will work ? Or a workaround ?

Best Regards,

Alex

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

According to the iSCSI Target Usage Guide (p. 4), FCI are not supported on vSAN, but generally sharing an iSCSI target LUN is, just not in your solution.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vSAN iSCSI target service works in this release and is designed for physical services like the use case you mention.

caneagu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you have a KB or official document to support that ? Or have you implemented it in your projects ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have implemented, yes. Are you asking specifically about iSCSI target service for use in WSFC, or in general as a working solution?

caneagu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am asking specifically for WSFC, i want to deploy two WS instances(on phyisical hosts) with shared storage exported from vSAN and configure FCI between those two.

Also it would be interesting if i can do the same, but this time in virtuallized envrionment (configure FCI from two virtual machines).

Regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

According to the iSCSI Target Usage Guide (p. 4), FCI are not supported on vSAN, but generally sharing an iSCSI target LUN is, just not in your solution.

caneagu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks daphnissov​ , you confirmed exactly what i hoping not to hear ..

Any chance to know when this will be available, since it's announced in the roadmap ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That would be a question best left for the product team, and I'm sure even then they'll give you no firm commitment date per usual.

0 Kudos