VMware Cloud Community
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

iSCSI Default iSCSI network for stretched vSAN?

Hi all,

I'm looking to leverage our stretched vSAN's ability as an iSCSI target to setup a WSFC. We're on 6.7U3 and I know this is a supported setup, but am wrestling with which default iSCSI network to choose. Any suggestions or recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

No, if using WSFC then that would be configured to use shared disks as per this article:

VMware Knowledge Base

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Mike,

"We're on 6.7U3 and I know this is a supported setup"

Sorry but actually it is not:

Stretched Cluster

Please note that vSAN iSCSI Target is unsupported on vSAN Stretched Clusters.

iSCSI on vSAN Limitations and Considerations | VMware® vSAN™ Network Design | VMware

Bob

0 Kudos
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi TheBobkin

Very interesting find. I created a ticket with support, who mentioned this was supported and also pointed me to the link below. I apologize if I'm missing something? 

WSFC with Native Shared Disks on vSAN 6.7U3 Stretched Clusters

Shared disks for WSFC on vSAN is supported in traditional, Stretched Cluster, or 2 Node vSAN configurations.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Mike,

Yes, WSFC with shared disks is supported but this is not the same thing as vSAN iSCSI targets.

Bob

0 Kudos
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Doh! I was looking to use the shared disk presented from our vSAN stretched cluster.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

MikeC3964, is there any good reason the workloads cannot be virtualised and run on the cluster and then use shared WSFC/other OS-clustering mechanism?

If P2V is not possible then do you have any non-stretched vSAN clusters where it would be supported to present iSCSI targets from?

Bob

0 Kudos
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

I apologize again for the confusion. The workload will be 100% virtualized. I wanted to create a WSFC for a file share via Windows 2019, the shared disk would be presented from our vSAN using the vSAN target service option.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

MikeC3964, in that case why are you considering adding the extra unnecessary step of vSAN iSCSI targets?

Why not just run the WSFC cluster on the Stretched cluster natively (with no iSCSI)?

Bob

0 Kudos
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My understanding is that both VMs will need to be presented a shared disk, which was where iSCSI was coming into play.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

No, if using WSFC then that would be configured to use shared disks as per this article:

VMware Knowledge Base

Bob

0 Kudos
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That seems like a much better option! Thanks so much for sharing Bob

-Mike

0 Kudos