VMware Cloud Community
eduruizblas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

doubt configuration

good! I am testing a scenario of 3 vsan nodes, 2 of them with storage and a single one with essentials plus and vsan standard licenses and I have two questions. Could I use the steched cluster and witness apliance option for this installation? Can I somehow use the node that now has no disks (boots via SD) as a witness? Thank you

6 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

As I understand you have 3 nodes. It’s possible to use stretched cluster. The minimum number of hosts in a vSAN Stretched Cluster is 2 plus the vSAN Witness Host. Site 1 contains one physical ESXi host; Site 2 contains one physical ESXi host; Site 3 contains the vSAN Witness Host (virtual appliance or physical). The configuration is 1+1+1. This is commonly referred to as a 2 Node configuration. If both nodes in a 2 Node configuration are in the same site, the vSAN Witness Host can be in the same site , or in an alternate site. In configurations where the 2 Nodes are in alternate sites, the vSAN Witness Host must be in a third site. About witness appliance need storage to deploy the ova on local datastore where some storage also needed for witness components. So as I know witness appliance not installed on SD card.  If you using physical ESXi host as witness you can install this in SD card however, you need vsphere license and some storage capacity for witness components..

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
eduruizblas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for the reply! at licensing level vsan witness apliance does not consume license in vcenter? In the new version 7 I have tried to mount it and the license does not come embedded and this question arises

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

The vSAN Witness Appliance should not consume a license. If you install ESXi yourself it will consume a license!

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

So as I know witness appliance not installed on SD card.  If you using physical ESXi host as witness you can install this in SD card however, you need vsphere license and some storage capacity for witness components..

But you would still need local disks for the VSAN configuration as you need to have a local vsan disk group to store the witness components on

Nawals
Expert
Expert

vSAN witness appliance not consume license. unless you install ESXi yourself as depping already said.

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

I know depping. Thanks for the remind.

0 Kudos