VMware Cloud Community
kevinE1979
Contributor
Contributor

Will this config work?

I have a current ESXi environment that has 2 hosts and shared storage. It is used for servers as well as VDI. Since performance is miserable I want to configure VSAN. I want to put in a 3rd host that is used just for VDI. All 3 hosts will have internal storage. Is it possible to just license the 3rd host with a View license and set up DRS rules so that servers stay on the first 2 hosts but VDI can use all 3? Will having the servers on the SAN and VDI clients on VSAN cause any issues? For my cluster network, can I have dual port 10GB cards in the hosts, connect one port to each host and use routing to route the cluster traffic over the correct NIC to the host? I've attached a diagram of what I want, hopefully I explained it will enough/

0 Kudos
1 Reply
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

Good morning.

Is it possible to just license the 3rd host with a View license and set up DRS rules so that servers stay on the first 2 hosts but VDI can use all 3?

Possible, yes.  Recommended, no.  Possible license violation, yes.

Will having the servers on the SAN and VDI clients on VSAN cause any issues?

No.

For my cluster network, can I have dual port 10GB cards in the hosts, connect one port to each host and use routing to route the cluster traffic over the correct NIC to the host?

Possible, yes.  Recommended, no.  It has been discussed in the forums before.  Physical interface bridging possible in ESXi ???

From my personal experience and involvement in the forum, this type of setup when used in production leads to problems.  I would not do it.  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos