VMware Cloud Community
srodenburg
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Will older, slower, diskless / consumer nodes slow down a VSAN system ?

Hello,

We have a 6 identical VSAN cluster nodes contributing storage.
We also have two older machines (think generation Proliant G7) which are simply "large" and we thought about using those two to host low-performance, non important VM's, of which we have a lot off.

Question:  will those two older boxes, which are much slower than todays hardware, drag down the performance of the entire VSAN solution. Will the 6 modern, contributing nodes "feel" the presence of such older machines and slow everything down?

There is the best-practice of not using an unbalanced cluster but does that refer to contributing nodes only?  I understand that "consumer only" nodes basically just "sit there" but when part of the vSAN Cluster, will they have a negative impact? If so, why?

The network-connections will be 10 gig and identical to the 6 contributing nodes. It's just CPU performance which is slower.

We will use affinity / non-affinity rules to keep those "low performance" VM's on those two older machines.

Kind regards,

Steven

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zdickinson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Good morning, this is how I understand your configuration.  6 new nodes in a vSAN cluster contributing storage.  2 old nodes in a vSAN cluster not contributing storage.  I would not expect the 2 old nodes to affect performance.  Just my opinion, no way for me to offer proof.  Thank you, Zach.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
zdickinson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Good morning, this is how I understand your configuration.  6 new nodes in a vSAN cluster contributing storage.  2 old nodes in a vSAN cluster not contributing storage.  I would not expect the 2 old nodes to affect performance.  Just my opinion, no way for me to offer proof.  Thank you, Zach.

srodenburg
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello Zach,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes. We are planning to add 2 old ESXi servers (nodes) to the vSAN cluster which will not be contributing storage.

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The older hosts will not be contributing to the Virtual SAN storage, only running virtual machines?

I can't see how they would slow down Virtual SAN.

Keep in mind, you'll still need to license those additional 2 hosts for Virtual SAN, regardless of whether they are presenting storage or not.

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty