VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Why my storage policy not work correctly

I have created a policy with FTT=1 and stripe = 1 such as attach pic but after meet disk placement it shows the stripe status is 2

What is the problem ? why it shows such as attach pic ?

I am using vspher 6.7 U3 and a cluster with 4 nodes

vsa1.jpgvsa2.jpgvs3.jpg

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, it almost certainly is related to the small size of the disks in use and datastore in general - if placing components pushes any capacity-drive >80% then it will try to force stripe the components so that no disk is >80% full.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ciao 

Even if you have set the stripe to 1 there are some situations where this value is not maintained and they are:

- In cases where a disk group does not contain enough space to hold a VMDK, automatic striping of objects will happen.
- In cases where an object is over 255GB, it will automatically seperated into a separate component.

https://blogs.vmware.com/virtualblocks/2016/09/19/vsan-stripes/#:~:text=Number%20Of%20Disk%20Stripes....

https://cormachogan.com/2014/04/23/vsan-part-23-why-is-my-storage-object-striped/

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The size of VM disk is 20G

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@baber , Stripe-width in Storage Policies really only means minimum Stripe-width, there are a number of reasons Objects may have more than one stripe per replica, a common reason is space e.g. it is concatenated into multiple sub-components to better utilise small free spaces on capacity disks.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Also I had to say this is nested cluster in my lab and total vsan datastore capacity is 240GB.

Is that related to vsan datastore size?

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, it almost certainly is related to the small size of the disks in use and datastore in general - if placing components pushes any capacity-drive >80% then it will try to force stripe the components so that no disk is >80% full.