VMware Cloud Community
lolo31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Where can i see "Provisionned Space" and "Real Used Space" of a Thin vmdk on a vSAN Datastore ?

Hello,

I can't find some informations about Thin vmdk (Object space reservation : 0%) on a vSAN Datastore.

• Where can i see the "provisioned space" and "real used space" of a Thin vmdk on a vSAN Datastore ?

On VMFS Datastore, if i need to reclaim null blocks on a Thin vmdk, i have to use this KB  : https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2004155

But "vmkfstools -K <your vmdk> don't work on a vSAN Datastore. (Hole punching: 0% done. Could not punch hole in disk "/path/your-descriptor-vmdk" : Inappropriate ioctl for device)

• So, How can i reclaim null blocks on Thin vmdk on a vSAN Datastore ?

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Laurent.S

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
elerium
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you go to edit settings for a VM in the web client and look at disks, it will show "disk size on datastore" (provisioned space) and "used storage space" (real used space) for each VMDK.

punchhole or an UNMAP equivalent isn't supported for VSAN

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
elerium
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you go to edit settings for a VM in the web client and look at disks, it will show "disk size on datastore" (provisioned space) and "used storage space" (real used space) for each VMDK.

punchhole or an UNMAP equivalent isn't supported for VSAN

0 Kudos
lolo31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you elerium, that's what i was looking for !

Do you know if there is an official note where VMware say that UNMAP or Punching is not supported on vSAN ?

I am asking because, If my vmdk is 5 GB Thin with 4GB Real Used

X X X X -

and I delete 2 GB

X X - - -

The 2GB space reclamation is automatic on my Thin vmdk with vSAN ?

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

SCSI UNMAP/Trim is not supported on vSAN as of now. If you were to delete VM/VMDKs that space is reclaimed automatically.

0 Kudos
lolo31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK subject close,

Thanks Elerium and GreatWhiteTec !

0 Kudos