VMware Cloud Community
hoon0715
Contributor
Contributor

What happens if the vSAN kernel is disconnected ???

Hi, all.

I'm sorry to ask a stupid question.

I'm currently using vSAN.

The L3 switch which using by vSAN kernel port must be rebooted for a while.
In about 5 minutes, the switch will be fully operational again, but my concern is that all hosts have vSAN Kernel ports connected to the switch.

In my case, what is the expected disability?
All VMs will be failing?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@hoon0715, Don't be sorry at all, perfectly fine question.

vSAN uses the vsan-vmk for nodes to communicate and access the data so if there is no network communication then the data will become inaccessible and only be accessible once the network is back.

So, yes the VMs will not be functional - it would be advisable to power them down before this so as to avoid them hard crashing.

0 Kudos
lukaszzasko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It will be fine if switch be unavailable for 5 minutes. If reboot of switch will be longer than 60 minut VSAN automaticaly start to rebuild impacted objects.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@lukaszzasko It won't "be fine" from the perspective of what OP is asking, will the data be okay after the network comes back? Yes. Will all the VMs running on this cluster crash if left powered-on, also yes and hence not really fine if not pre-empted.

It also wouldn't resync anything even if 60 minute (with default setting) CLOM repair delay timer expired as all nodes are isolated and all data is inaccessible, no resync occurs on objects that are inaccessible.