VMware Cloud Community
bigslash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vsan host network change

hi to all

WE have vsan robo systems for a company, we used 1 vcenter and a  couple of ESXi servers that construct Vsan HA.

The company closes one of the offices that Vsan servers reside .So we need to physically migrate those Vsan HA to another location ,we need to change the Ip adress of those servers .

But we still need to stay in the same Vcenter .

I havent done this kind of a IP adress change.Anybody has any experience with this that can lead me to the correct way.

thanks.

Esxi are version 7 ,and the virtual center is also version 7.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@bigslash  Do you need to just re-IP the Management IPs or the vSAN and everything else also?
Is the vCenter stored and running on this vSAN cluster or somewhere else?
If it is running on the vSAN then you likely need to be a bit more careful and/or a bit better at CLI to fix the network if you break it (as if you cause the vCenter to become unavailable due to partitioning the cluster then it is host client and CLI, no vDS configurable).

So, changing the Management is fairly trivial, only thing to note with regard to vSAN is that you may want to disable unicastagent updates (# esxcfg-advcfg -s 1 /VSAN/IgnoreClusterMemberListupdates) on all nodes just in case they get removed from the vSAN cluster - NOTE, revert this (# esxcfg-advcfg -s 0 /VSAN/IgnoreClusterMemberListupdates) on all nodes before changing vSAN IPs (as if you don't, the nodes won't know about the new vSAN IPs) - alternatively you can just do each host 1 by 1 with Maintenance Mode 'Ensure Accessibility' option chosen (and don't need to worry about setting/unsetting ignore updates).

Changing the ESXi server management IP address (2084629):
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2084629

With regard to the vSAN IPs - you need to be careful if the vCenter is running on the vSAN cluster - the least risk way is actually just to add an additional vmk tagged for vsan traffic to all nodes (in the new IP range), then validate that it is functional by placing one node in Maintenance Mode with 'Ensure Accessibility' option, untagging vsan traffic on the original vmk and validating that it stays in the cluster (e.g. going over the new network) this can be checked via the CLI (esxcli vsan cluster get) or the vSphere UI Cluster > Monitor > vSAN > vSAN Health > no checks regarding network, ping or cluster should be red , take the host out of Maintenance Mode.
Proceed to do this until all the hosts are using the new network and then simply remove the original vmks that are no longer tagged for vSAN traffic

How to configure vSAN VMkernel networking (2058368)
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2058368

bigslash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bobkin thanks a lot for detailed answer ;

we have 4 vsans robo in 1 virtual center .Each robo vsan is made up with 2 servers. One of this vsan robo (2 servers) will be shutdown ,and physically migrated to another location ,so we need to change those servers ip adresses .But this vsan will stay on the same virtual center environment.

Thank you

0 Kudos
bigslash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had just noticed that, i had to mention that we have the virtual center as a seperate server from all.

The virtual center server is not in any of those vsan robo clusters, the virtual center is a different virtual machine .

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@bigslash, You should be fine changing both the Management and vSAN IP addresses using the steps in the articles linked above, do ensure that Maintenance Mode is used and do 1 host at a time and validate that all is good after doing each one.

0 Kudos
mutthu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will follow your discussion above for our vSAN node to move into another location; I only need to change the management IP.
Do we need have to issue the following though I am not changing the vSAN?

0 Kudos
bigslash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ;

customer created the same network in their new location , so nothing changed on the VSAN side for us, 

Good luck with yours 

0 Kudos