VMware Cloud Community
christianmaran1
Contributor
Contributor

Vsan Storage provider not Registred

We have a PoC with 3 Esxi host, we have install Esxi 5.5u2, the Vcenter is the last version of Appliance release.

After the configuration of all requirments, ad for do this we have respect the Vsan PoC Guide, the automatical registration of vsan storage provider not works.

I have do the manual but only for the Master Host this is end correctly.

Anyone cal help us?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Which ESXi version are you using?

0 Kudos
christianmaran1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi mkhalil,

I using the Esxi 5.5 u2, the Vcenter is the last Appliance version released.

Regards

0 Kudos
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do you have a firewall between your ESXi hosts and the vCenter Server appliance?

Port 8080 must be opened over TCP in both directions for the VASA provider to get registered.

HTH

Cormac

http://cormachogan.com
christianmaran1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Cormac,

No firewall between your ESXi hosts and the vCenter Server appliance, are in the same Vlan.

I have check the 8080 port on the host with telnet ad is open.

On the vCenter appliance i have find the 8080 bind and Listen on ipv6 lookup address, i attach the result.

Only Listen on ipv6 ?

0 Kudos
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hmm - I guess if there is no firewall and you can successfully telnet to the port, then you are good.

Can you just try to place the hosts in maintenance mode, take then out of the cluster, recreate the cluster, enable VSAN and add the host back in to the new cluster?

I'm assuming you don't have anything deployed yet, btw.

0 Kudos
christianmaran1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Cormac

Unfortunately for some performance test we have deployed 10 machine and the VDP for backup.

Before the Vm deployed i have try to do this but the registration start automatically but don't end, after the automatically task i have try the manual, but only for the Master host is register correctly.

There is other option that is possible to check to fix this issue ?

Regards

Christian

0 Kudos
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would now file a support request Christian.

Someone will have to examine the logs to see why the providers are not registering.

0 Kudos
christianmaran1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Cormac,

no prob for me.

Is this to open with  Support Ticket ? Or you have a direct channel ?

Regards

0 Kudos
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Open a support ticket directly please - I don't work in the GSS dept.

0 Kudos
jjbasso
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into this issue for our new servers.  When we deployed our services they came out of the box with an old date and until our full system is up the dates some times shows up incorrectly and can be set to 2001.  To make things worse we changed our FQDN part way into the build.

In these cases I think you have to rebuild the certificate on each host.  

.  Putty in to the ESXi Shell and acquire root privileges.

2.  check expiry date -  openssl x509 -noout -in /etc/vmware/ssl/rui.crt -enddate

3.  If expired, take server to Maintenance  mode.

4.  Take out of cluster

5.  In the directory /etc/vmware/ssl, back up any existing certificates by renaming them using the following commands.

mv rui.crt orig.rui.crt

mv rui.key orig.rui.key

6.   Run the command /sbin/generate-certificates to generate new certificates.

7.  check expiry date -  openssl x509 -noout -in /etc/vmware/ssl/rui.crt -enddate

8.  Restart the host after you install the new certificate is sucessfull

9.  Connect host as it will be disconnected

9.  Bring in to cluster

10. Take out of Maintenance mode. 

0 Kudos
christianmaran1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ijbasso,

i have check the certificate date but actually on all esxi the expire date is :

~ # > notAfter=Apr 14 10:16:46 2026 GMT.

regards

0 Kudos
kamruddin
Contributor
Contributor

I have same problem. have 4 hosts . I amUsing Vcenter 5.5 u2e and ESXi 5.5 u2. When creating a cluster and enbaled vsan ,everything goes in right way. In vecnter server->Storage provider->mange tab, all of the 4 storage providers are online; 1 of them is active and rest of 3 are standby. Storage profile can be created. But after few minutes some/all storage providers goes offline (screenshot attached) and when trying to create new storage policy the matching resource page is empty.
I have checked all the hosts and vcenter servers. Port 8080 are listening, firewall is off, hosts certificate are valid upto Dec  7 14:04:26 2026 GMT.
I have tried several times by creating a new vsan cluster. The problem repeats. Can anybody suggest a solution please?

0 Kudos
paudieo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

can you select any (or all of the ESXi hosts ) checkat ESXi cmd line prompt

/etc/init.d/vsanvpd status to check if vsanvpd userworld is running

you may then wish to restart it

/etc/init.d/vsanvpd restart

If the VSAN Storage Provider goest offline again , post the  vpd logs from the hosts

/var/log/vsanvpd.log

I would recommend filing an SR

0 Kudos
jonretting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I might suggest using a Windows CA to generate and apply valid certificates for your ESXi hosts. This blog post should be extremely helpful for this. http://www.derekseaman.com/2014/06/nesting-hyper-v-2012-r2-esxi-5-5.html  I would consistently run into Storage Provider Registration issue with 5.5, until I generated them via a CA. Dereks powerhell script will update all your hosts for you, if you have a domain joined system and the associated AD CA. Then just do a rolling maintenance restart for each host, move them out of the cluster, then back in. This is obviously more suitable for a VCS on Windows, but it definitely couldn't hurt to try. You never know which wrong troubleshooting path will expose the actual problem. 😉

0 Kudos
kamruddin
Contributor
Contributor

Dear jornetting,
I think you actually tried to mention this blog series http://www.derekseaman.com/2013/10/vsphere-5-5-install-pt-1-introduction.html (if I am not wrong). But according to this thread Trouble getting VSAN 6 Storage Providers up and running , (if I acually understand their posts) it did not solved the problem (honestly, I did not tried derek's solution).One more information from me, my AD Domain controller and vcenter server are both on windows server 2012 R2. And according to this KB article VMware KB: ESXi 5.5 host in a VSAN cluster reports a warning alarm: Host vendor provider registratio... , there is still no resolution.

0 Kudos
kamruddin
Contributor
Contributor

I found a solution for the "Host vendor provider registration" issue which is described in VMware KB: ESXi 5.5 host in a VSAN cluster reports a warning alarm: Host vendor provider registratio.... To work around this issue:

1. Disonnect the host from cluster.

2. Remove it from inventory.

3. Add the host directly to Datacenter.
Then I found that the alarm disappeared. I have 4 hosts in a cluster. All had same alarm and now all of them are gone Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jonretting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Someone dropped the ball, that should have been the first troubleshooting process.  😞

0 Kudos
kamruddin
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, the alarm appears again after creating another culster and joining the hosts to the cluster  Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
jonretting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are those clean fresh installed visors in the new clusters? Also, have you tried regenerating the storage SMS certificates?

There are two paths of least resistance that i can see.

First eliminate your existing vcenter server from the equation and see if the problem persists on a vanilla one. If problem persists, reset the vcenter server to vanilla, and do a clean ESXi install foreach host. Then see if the problem persists.

The second one would be jumping to vSphere 6, since I personally have yet to experience any "Storage Provider registration" problems.

Cheers

0 Kudos