VMware Cloud Community
baszek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vsan 6.2 failed HDD replacement

Hi guys,

I have failed HDD in Vsan 6.2. How should I replace it ?

I have found some instruction here VMware Virtual SAN Operations: Replacing Disk Devices - Virtual Blocks - VMware Blogs

vSphere Web Client Procedure (Pass-through Mode)

1. Login to the vSphere Web Client
  2. Navigate to the Hosts and Clusters view and select the Virtual SAN enabled cluster
  3. Go to the manage tab and select Disk management under the Virtual SAN section
  4. Select the disk group with the failed magnetic device
  5. Select the failed magnetic device and click the delete button

My question is - do I have to put Vsan host to Maintenance mode before deleting failed drive from disk group ? or whole replacement can be done online ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello baszek​,

Assuming as you mentioned "HDD" that this is a Hybrid configuration and cannot not have Dedupe enabled (meaning just this disk is failed, not the whole disk-group).

Check the current Object configuration status:

# cmmds-tool find -f python | grep CONFIG_STATUS -B 4 -A 6 | grep 'uuid\|content' | grep -o 'state\\\":\ [0-9]*' | sort | uniq -c

This *should* return all Object as config-state 7 (e.g. Healthy)

"My question is - do I have to put Vsan host to Maintenance mode before deleting failed drive from disk group ? or whole replacement can be done online ?"

Provided your controller and the mode it is using supports hot-add/remove then replacing the disk live shouldn't cause any issues.

While it is not mandatory to put a host in Maintenance Mode before removing failed disks, however if you are unfamiliar with confirming the availability state of the data, this can be performed temporarily (e.g. with 'Ensure Accessibility').

Otherwise removing the disk with the correct options without MM will suffice - removing the failed disk with 'Ensure Accessibility' option should be feasible if the data on the cluster is otherwise healthy.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello baszek​,

Assuming as you mentioned "HDD" that this is a Hybrid configuration and cannot not have Dedupe enabled (meaning just this disk is failed, not the whole disk-group).

Check the current Object configuration status:

# cmmds-tool find -f python | grep CONFIG_STATUS -B 4 -A 6 | grep 'uuid\|content' | grep -o 'state\\\":\ [0-9]*' | sort | uniq -c

This *should* return all Object as config-state 7 (e.g. Healthy)

"My question is - do I have to put Vsan host to Maintenance mode before deleting failed drive from disk group ? or whole replacement can be done online ?"

Provided your controller and the mode it is using supports hot-add/remove then replacing the disk live shouldn't cause any issues.

While it is not mandatory to put a host in Maintenance Mode before removing failed disks, however if you are unfamiliar with confirming the availability state of the data, this can be performed temporarily (e.g. with 'Ensure Accessibility').

Otherwise removing the disk with the correct options without MM will suffice - removing the failed disk with 'Ensure Accessibility' option should be feasible if the data on the cluster is otherwise healthy.

Bob

0 Kudos
baszek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have check it via VC:

Type is hybrid - I would like to change HDD type

Whole host in Vsan has got state: Unhealthy

There are two disk groups - this with Permanent disk failure has got state: Unhealthy

Vsan conf:

Deduplication and compression: Disabled

Add disk to storage: Manual --> so after adding the drive I should add it manually to storage group

0 Kudos