VMware Cloud Community
elgwhoppo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Virtual SAN Licensing

Following the update of my vCenter to 5.5.0 U1, I tried moving the hosts from the Beta Refresh build (1439689) to GA (1623099) and the first host coming out of the upgrade was hanging at this screen "osfs loaded successfully" for hours. I was able to perform a recovery of the host and roll it back to the Beta Refresh build.

osfs_hang.JPG

I think this may be due to the fact that my Virtual SAN Beta key has expired. So it would appear that if your license expires, you cannot add hosts, upgrade hosts, or manage existing storage policies (following an upgrade of vCenter). So the moral of the story is get a valid key. Which brings me to my next point. I just registered for the Virtual SAN evaluation so I could at least continue working in the short term in my lab. When I look at the Trial for Virtual SAN, it states there is no license key required. I believe that you do in fact need a valid key to make Virtual SAN function, so how am I supposed to evaluate the GA version without a key?

NoLicRequired.JPG

Any help here would be great. Thanks guys!

VCDX-Desktop
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

joergriether wrote:

Besides the fact that you can´t upgrade beta vsan datastore to ga vsan datastore there is another thing which should come to mind:

Please read this Re: How to add vendor-specific capabilities

Seems you can not upgrade vcenter 5.5 to 5.5u1 when planning to use vsan with it after the upgrade.

But maybe i got this wrong. Am i wrong? Could someone please clarify this? You *really* have to do a fresh install of vcenter 5.5u1 to use vsan?

Best regards,

Joerg

That is my understanding as well unfortunately,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Besides the fact that you can´t upgrade beta vsan datastore to ga vsan datastore there is another thing which should come to mind:

Seems you can not upgrade vcenter 5.5 to 5.5u1 when planning to use vsan with it after the upgrade.

But maybe i got this wrong. Am i wrong? Could someone please clarify this? You *really* have to do a fresh install of vcenter 5.5u1 to use vsan?

Best regards,

Joerg

depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

joergriether wrote:

Best regards,

Joerg

That is my understanding as well unfortunately,

0 Kudos