VMware Cloud Community
venzo980
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VSAN - migrating from 2node(+witness) to 3node

Hi all!

I've a 2node cluster with witness installed on a another host that I need to dismiss. This host will be reinstalled and it will be joined to the cluster to form a 3node vsan cluster.

The correct procedure is to disable the stretched cluster removing the witness host and then join the 3rd node to the cluster.

The 2node cluster, in the meantime it will be without witness, will work as always but without fault tolerance right? Objects and vms accessibility will not be affected?

thanks in advance

venzo

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is indeed the correct process, please try to complete it in a reasonable amount of time, as the cluster is not protected during the process. if something fails then it will directly impacted the workloads!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is indeed the correct process, please try to complete it in a reasonable amount of time, as the cluster is not protected during the process. if something fails then it will directly impacted the workloads!

0 Kudos
venzo980
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi depping,

thanks for your answer, I've just another question for you Smiley Happy

I think I'll need 3 hours to prepare the standalone host to join the cluster, it will be a problem?

Should I change the 60 minute default timer for rebuilding?

thanks!

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No need to change the timer, as there's no place for rebuilding anyway in your situation. Normally that would be needed indeed, but in a 2-node that isn't needed.