VMware Cloud Community
owjeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VSAN VSPP Licensing

Disappointed to see that VSAN released with no VSPP licensing option. We invested heavily in testing this during the beta, but won't be able to deploy it without a VSPP option.

5 Replies
crosdorff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same for us. Working with the 60 demo license for now.

VSPP licensing will be announced in Q2 according to Q&A during the release presentation.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

VSPP licensing will be announced in Q2 indeed is what I have been told.

Duncan

-----------

Book out soon: Essential Virtual SAN: Administrator's Guide to VMware VSAN (VMware Press Technology)

0 Kudos
crosdorff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VSPP pricing was published yesterday in the new VSPP Product Usage Guide (available in partner central):

0.08 points per GB per month for allocated capacity

0 Kudos
owjeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Saw that. Glad they set it per GB of allocated VM capacity. Haven't seen the new fulfillment order for VSPP keys yet - hoping that comes shortly. It's a bit expensive too, but I expect that will come down in price fairly quickly. Our calculations show the cost of hardware+VSAN is more than that of Equallogic SAN.

0 Kudos
JohnNicholson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A VSAN is going to be faster than an EqualLogic.  A VSAN can run in an active/active situation (Fail over doesn't take 45 seconds under full load).  A VSAN has exceptional SSD caching, and you don't have to deal with LUNs.  I can completely change the protection levels, and performance on a granular per VMDK basis.  You can't do this with an EqualLogic (as well as extra overhead for space/power/cooling etc.