VMware Cloud Community
ThepHuck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VSAN & VMUG Advantage EVALExperience licensing

Has anyone else used the EVALExperience VSAN licenses?  I'm asking because I immediately requested licenses when this was available to me on 19-Jan, but it supplied me with eight licenses, all for 2CPUs each.  I have four dual socket nodes in my lab and found that I can only select a single license to the cluster (see attachment).

Is there another way to enter VSAN licenses per-host?  I've looked through vCenter licensing and can't really find where to enter individual licenses per-host.  Judging by how the solution works, I understand why it would be a single license at the cluster level, as that's what was originally given to me by my SE when running some VSAN testing.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks ~Luke @ThepHuck
0 Kudos
7 Replies
ThepHuck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PS,

I'm posting this at the request of VMUG.  I went to them first asking for a single key, or the ability to consolidate keys (like my.vmware) so I can make this work for my cluster.

Thanks ~Luke @ThepHuck
0 Kudos
Nikolaus
Contributor
Contributor

Having exactly the same issue. Kind of useless to have 4x Keys for 2 Hosts when almost everyone will get started with 3 hosts for VSAN. Would also be interested to consolidate the license keys into a single key that supports 4 hosts...

Nikolaus

0 Kudos
ramakrishnak
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

AFAICT No

VSAN license are defined at cluster level. not host level.  hence you have only 1 license for VSAN.

host level licenses are vSphere licenses. for VSAN feature you have to apply license at cluster level in addition to vSphere licenses

Thanks

0 Kudos
ThepHuck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's exactly the point.  One VSAN key from EVALExperience is 2x CPUs/sockets that you assign at the cluster level.  If you have three nodes (minimum requirement) and each one is a single socket, that's three CPUs/sockets.

**EDIT**

Take a look at the attachment from my first post: Usage = 8 CPUs (4x 2-socket boxes); Capacity = 2 CPUs

What I'm asking for is a way to consolidate these four 2-CPU licenses into one 8-CPU license.

I contacted VMUG and they said to post in the forums, which hasn't gotten anywhere.

Thanks ~Luke @ThepHuck
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hey everyone,

The intent was to supply you with a license that will allow you to run up to a 4-node cluster and not 4 cluster of 2-nodes.

This seems like a technical mistake. Let me get in touch with the VMUG people to fix it.

Apologies for the inconvenience, and thanks for letting us know.

Best,

Rafael

0 Kudos
ThepHuck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you Rafael!

Thanks ~Luke @ThepHuck
0 Kudos
stoerkel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

sorry for hijacking your thread but having the same problem.

Just ordered my vsan package with vmug and still get the 4 licence keys for 2 CPUs.

Any idea when the keys would be corrected ?

Regards Carsten

0 Kudos