VMware Cloud Community
jgover
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VSAN Usable Storage in this Case 5TB

Hi,

Trying to figure out the algebra on why 21 1TB drives are required in total across 3 Hosts for RAW storage capacity of 5TB  that I choose from the VSAN guide below.

So that is 7 disks in each server.

VMware Compatibility Guide - vsan

VendorModelProfile & Capacity

DELLHY-4: DELL R630Ready Node Generation: Gen2 - 12G
Profile: HY-4 Series
Raw Storage Capacity: 5 TB

Click here for Ready Node Model details : HY-4: DELL R630

ComponentsDetailsQuantity
SKUContact Dell Sales Rep
ESXi Pre-Installed?Yes
SystemPowerEdge R6303
CPUIntel® Xeon® E5-2640 v4 2.4GHz,25M Cache,8.0GT/s QPI,Turbo,HT,10C/20T (90W) Max Mem 2133MHz6
Memory16GB RDIMM, 2400MT/s, Dual Rank, x8 Data Width24
Caching Tier400GB Solid State Drive SATA Write Intensive 2.5in, SM8653
Capacity Tier1TB 7.2K RPM NLSAS 6Gbps 2.5in21
ControllerDELL PERC H730 Adapter SAS-RAID3
NICIntel X520 DP 10Gb DA/SFP+ Server AdapterIntel X520 DP 10Gb DA/SFP+, + I350 DP 1Gb Ethernet, Network Daughter Card3
Boot DeviceInternal Dual SD Module (IDSDM) 2 x 8 GB SD cards)3

Supported ReleasesESXi 6.0 U2, ESXi 6.0 U1

- See more at: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=vsan#sthash.Qdd5TFOt.dpuf

2 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I guess that is a mistake. RAW storage is 21TB, usable will depend on FTT chosen and some other things like spare capacity / growth etc

jgover
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes that original VSAN site was buggy.

I generally go with the this now:

https://code.vmware.com/virtual-san-design-and-sizing-guide#Cluster Capacity

1.5.5 Usable Capacity

Virtual SAN usable capacity is the amount of capacity that can be used to store the VMDK files of all virtual machines. It is determined by subtracting the Virtual SAN overhead from the disk capacity and then dividing the remaining amount by the number of failures to tolerate plus 1:

• Formula: (DiskCapacity – DskGrp x DskPerDskGrp x Hst x VSANoverhead )/(ftt+1)
  • Example: (1,104,000GB – 280GB)/(ftt+1) = 1,103,720GB/(2) = 551,860GB Usable Capacity

Usable always seems to work out to roughly half to RAW.

P.S. I know you know this stuff inside out. Just posting back for general public.

Thanks

Jeff

0 Kudos