VMware Cloud Community
malhi_o
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VSAN Stretched cluster for Tier one clinet

Hi,

I am going to install and deploy VSAN stertched cluster. The costomer has vSphere 6.0 U2. VSAN Witness version in 6.2. According to  product interoperablitiy Matrices looks fine. Any thing more  should i keep in mind ?

Do you recommend to upgrade to U3 ?

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_4.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Greetings!

Upgrade to latest version is always recommended. If you are planning on use 6.0 then I would recommend using 6.0 U3.

Apart from this, network requirements are the major points to consider while deploying stretched cluster. Here is the official guide from VMware:

http://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsan/vmware-virtual-san-6.... (Page 12-14)

Hope this helpful. Smiley Happy

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question as "Correct" or "Helpful" when you get the appropriate answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

Cheers!

Shivam

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

malhi_o

Both vSAN 6.2 and vSAN 6.5 are excellent choices for vSAN Stretched Clusters.

Operationally, 6.2 and 6.5 behave identically. If the customer is comfortable with 6.2, they can easily go with vSphere 6.0 Update 3 & the latest version of vCenter 6.0. If they would like to go with 6.5, they can do that as well. As mentioned, if they deploy vSAN 6.2, and choose to go to vSAN 6.5 at a later time, there will be an upgrade process.

There are no On-Disk format updates between vSAN 6.2 and vSAN 6.5, so the upgrade process is painless. Upgrade vCenter, upgrades hosts/witness.

The most current documentation for Stretched Clusters & 2 Node vSAN (which covers 6.1, 6.2, and 6.5) can be found here:

https://storagehub.vmware.com/#!/vmware-vsan/vsan-stretched-cluster-2-node-guide

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
malhi_o
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thank you Jasemccarty and shivam_chawla

The client will deploy Witness server on the third data center as an appliance, they runs vSphere 5.1. Witness Appliance Hardware version is 10 which is NOT supported hardware version on their ESXI 5.1. Is there any work around since the customer will not going for upgrade now.

Will it be support it if I changed the OVA HW version to 9 ?

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

malhi_o

The vSAN Witness Appliance may be run on ESXi 5.5 or higher. 

They could attempt to change the virtual hardware version, but it wouldn't be supported.

Also consider that vSphere 5.0/5.1 are no longer supported, as of 24 AUG 16: End of General Support for vSphere 5.0 and vSphere 5.1 (2145103) | VMware KB

I would strenuously recommend that they upgrade their 5.1 host (that the Witness would run on ) to 5.5.

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
malhi_o
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you Jase,

0 Kudos