VMware Cloud Community
cyphil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VSAN SSD Compatibility List model, cannot identify the actual part number from vendor

I am on the way to setup VSAN in our site, which we need to purchase SSD for so.

In the compatibility list, we can find some models e.g. IBM SSDSC2BA800G3IB

However, we cannot associate the model no. with IBM part number something like 90Y8648.

I searched the model no. but could find the related information.

VSAN_compatibility.jpg

IBM part number

Solid State Drive

IBM

90Y8648

IBM 128GB SATA 2.5'' SFF HS SSD

Do you have any idea how we check that? Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I have already contacted the HCL team about this. They informed me that the vendor provides these part / model numbers, so I would hope that if you provide it to IBM they know what you are referring to. I have pointed the HCL team to this thread so hopefully this can be resolved for you.

0 Kudos
cyphil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks depping for your reply. I did provided the "model" to IBM for quotation with no luck, so I really hope to hear good news from HCL team. Anyway, I will also try to find some technical people from IBM for advice.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Just looking at those first couple of drives listed, they look like intel s3700 models to me, maybe IBM rebrands these... strange.

0 Kudos
vwade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am not sure why IBM does not recognize the model #, but I can confirm that those are the IBM rebranded Intel S3700 SSDs. IBM rebrands both the 2.5" S3700's and the 1.8" S3700's.

0 Kudos
SimonTodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AFAIK

IBM have not certified any 128Gb SSD Drives and neither have Intel so it looks like that model of SSD is not on the HCL

Simon

0 Kudos
vwade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I believe the drives being asked about are the 400G and 800G re-branded Intel s3700's (in the screen capture of the VCG). I am not sure what the IBM part # for this is, but an IBM rep should be able to provide this.

0 Kudos
SimonTodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The original drive specified here is the following, this one for certain is not certified:

IBM part number

Solid State Drive

IBM

90Y8648

IBM 128GB SATA 2.5'' SFF HS SSD

0 Kudos
cyphil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks all for your relies. Finally VMware managed to update the Part Number of IBM in the compatibility list.

ibmpart.jpg

But the certified SSD are somehow too expensive for our testing purpose XD.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

cyphil wrote:

Thanks all for your relies. Finally VMware managed to update the Part Number of IBM in the compatibility list.

ibmpart.jpg

But the certified SSD are somehow too expensive for our testing purpose XD.

Biggest challenge with Server Vendors today, funny thing is that they OEM the drives in most cases and then tripple the price. Not sure how it would work from a hardware support standpoint if you would just go for an Intel or SanDisk drive for instance

0 Kudos
poziczek
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I am having the same problem with HP rebranded Intel SSD 3700 model Intel HP DC S700 800GB SSD.JPG

SSDSC2BA800G3P the Intel model is approved model SSDSC2BA800G3 I have contacted HP but seemingly you need to have a hardware contract before anyone will talk to you which is not very helpful when you have HP drives worth over £9k... and they just need to be added to the HCL list as Intel have informed me they are compatible with VSAN6 but they can't help so unless VMWare can get it added to the list I am stuck...

0 Kudos