VMware Cloud Community
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VSAN Ready Node ESXi image

Hi,

is there any difference in the ESXi image to download/install from vendor when you have a VSAN Ready Node?

Or should I treat it like any normal server and download the latest vendor ESXi that matches the server model and upgrade it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello andvm​,

I would advise using the vendor-provided image via VUM to create/update a baseline appropriate for the update:

Remediating vSAN Clusters Against vSAN System Baseline Groups

This ensures that 1. all hosts have a consistent configuration and 2. that you are not inadvertently updating the controller driver to something that is not on the vSAN HCL.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello andvm​,

I would advise using the vendor-provided image via VUM to create/update a baseline appropriate for the update:

Remediating vSAN Clusters Against vSAN System Baseline Groups

This ensures that 1. all hosts have a consistent configuration and 2. that you are not inadvertently updating the controller driver to something that is not on the vSAN HCL.

Bob

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

mainly you have to check the compatibility of the versions, then if there is the version of the vendor much better.

VMware Compatibility Guide - vsan

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ok since these are new servers I will do as follows:

1. add Servers to vCenter
  2. upload latest Custom Vendor ESXi image to VUM for the respective server model
  3. Remediate the Servers
  4. Add to cluster using the Quick Cluster setup so as to add networking and vSAN
0 Kudos