VMware Cloud Community
kwilliamson
Contributor
Contributor

VSAN Profiles and CPUs

Is there any particular reason why the All Flash Profiles have at least 10 cores per processor and the Hybrid have more options like 6 cores, 8 cores, 10 cores, 12 core?

I would like an 8 core All Flash Profile but the lowest flash profile is 10 cores.   I want to keep it to 8 core processors because of Oracle licensing.  I would like to do all flash because of dedupe, ,compression, Raid5/6, better performance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello kwilliamson,

I am going to assume you are referring to vsansizer.vmware.com, if you are referring to something else then let us know.

This is likely for these reasons:

- All Flash nodes typically achieve higher IOPS/throughput and thus would assume higher correlating CPU/GHz to match/balance CPU vs Storage requirements (possibly aligned with an assumed average/median number and/or size of disks used per host).

- The potential available Ready-Node configurations that these theoretical configurations might be based on (e.g. All Flash for these might be optimized/designed for VDI and thus high base-CPU and Memory).

Bob

0 Kudos
usa_kwilliamson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was referring to vsansizer.vmware.com  I would have thought there would have been some good use cases for 3.X Ghz vs lower 2.X Ghz.  There are still a number of applications that benefit more for clock speed than numbers of CPUs or cores given to them and licensing issues.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello kwilliamson,

I had a further look at this, it appears it is due to the configurations of the Ready-nodes being used by vsansizer as I noted previously, all 10+ cores for 'AF' series:

http://vsanreadynode.vmware.com

vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=vsan

And yes, I totally agree - more variety would be great in this tool but it is designed to use Ready-node specs so it is limited by which of these are included for reference.

Using the tool in combination with/or manual calculations is likely necessary to calculate what you require here.

Bob

0 Kudos