VMware Cloud Community
athurston
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VSAN Network Partitions

Hi All,

I'm looking to set up a VSAN cluster for our management servers, we have 4 hosts configured with 10GB networking that are connected to a cisco 6509 core switch, the Configuration assistant is detecting all of the hosts in a separate network partition any ideas on how i resolve this?

Thanks

Alex

1.png

2.jpg

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Alex,

Which version of ESXi/vSAN are you using here?

Prior to vSAN 6.6 (ESXi 6.5 U1) vSAN clusters have not only Unicast but also a Multicast requirement.

It looks like these are Unicast partitioned here so start with this.

When you configured the cluster on the 2nd/3rd page of the Wizard there is a Network connectivity check that all nodes have a vmk interface with vSAN configured and with connection - did you see this and/or what did it say?

Do you currently have a vmk interface with vSAN enabled on each hosts? (check via Web client or via CLI using: esxcli vsan network list)

Are these in the same subnet?

Does everything have/allow 1500 MTU?

Could anything be misconfigured or blocking traffic on the switch?

I see a warning in the Health check regarding Physical NIC, what does this say and/or could it be related?

Bob

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Alex,

Which version of ESXi/vSAN are you using here?

Prior to vSAN 6.6 (ESXi 6.5 U1) vSAN clusters have not only Unicast but also a Multicast requirement.

It looks like these are Unicast partitioned here so start with this.

When you configured the cluster on the 2nd/3rd page of the Wizard there is a Network connectivity check that all nodes have a vmk interface with vSAN configured and with connection - did you see this and/or what did it say?

Do you currently have a vmk interface with vSAN enabled on each hosts? (check via Web client or via CLI using: esxcli vsan network list)

Are these in the same subnet?

Does everything have/allow 1500 MTU?

Could anything be misconfigured or blocking traffic on the switch?

I see a warning in the Health check regarding Physical NIC, what does this say and/or could it be related?

Bob

GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Alex,

Like Bob stated, network partitioning could be the result of some misconfiguration, but those may depend on the version of vSAN you are running. Can you provide some more information?

I am seeing quite a bit of network partitioning lately for some customers that upgrade their hosts to vSAN 6.6, but forget to upgrade vCenter prior to upgrading hosts, resulting in network partitioning.

~Dave

athurston
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply, we are using this version of the VCSA,

I couldn't see how you are able to choose the version of VSAN so i presume we are using the latest but could be wrong? Is here any way to check that specifically?

Is unicast enabled by default on Cisco switches?

Each of the hosts in the cluster has a VSAN port that is enabled that all looks ok.

The warning for the physical nic is that there is only one per host, we have the others ready but before i add them in i was trying to get it working with a single 10GB adapter in each host.

Thanks

Alex

0 Kudos
athurston
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi All,

thanks for your help this is now resolved, seems to have been a mis-configuration on the VSAN VLAN.

Thanks

Alex

0 Kudos
buffalix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

could you shed more light on this? What 's the misconfiguration on vsan vlan?

0 Kudos