VMware Cloud Community
jkoebrunner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VSAN & MetroCluster: Future Plans

Short question, maybe some development engineer can give something away Smiley Wink:

Until now we have supplied about 20 customers with a VSAN installation (mainly safety-critical systems in the public safety sector), tendency rising.

Unfortunately, sometimes there is the requirement for 2 Rack redundancy concept, which we cannot provide with VSAN at the moment.
So a MetroCluster feature would be a nice feature.

Is there anything planned for such a scenario?

Johannes Köbrunner IT Solutions Architect Virtualization, Network and Storage Systems Frequentis AG VTSP, VCP, VCAP-DCD
0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please take a look at the VSAN 6.0 "Rack Awareness" feature (see https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsan/VMware_Virtual_SAN_Whats_New.pdf) to see whether this is what you are looking for.

André

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

VSAN Fault Domains allows you to do exactly that. However you need a minimum of 3 fault domains for the simple reason that you always need to have 2 copies of your data and a witness. This in the current release is not intended to span locations. I can't comment on roadmap.

0 Kudos
jkoebrunner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am aware of the Rack Awareness Feature in VSAN 6.0 - it's at the moment our proposal for rack redundancy solutions with 3 racks.

Anyhow, some of our customers require 2 rack redundancy which is not possible with VSAN right now.

I fully understand the VSAN principle why 2 racks are not possible (and may be also not possible in the future) - nevertheless it would be a nice feature Smiley Happy

Johannes Köbrunner IT Solutions Architect Virtualization, Network and Storage Systems Frequentis AG VTSP, VCP, VCAP-DCD
0 Kudos