VMware Cloud Community
AnaCopa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VSAN Licenses

we have a vSAN cluster with Standard licenses (VMware support expired two years ago). We want to acquire Enterprise licenses for the cluster due to the functionalities of the license level, my query is:

1. Is it possible to upgrade the License Level from standard to enterprise?

2. Or is it possible to buy new Enterprise licenses directly?

In case of buying new licenses, these would be applied without problem to the cluster, correct?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes.. its the same behavior as vCenter or ESXi. Just apply the new and higher license and move on. There is no downtime.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
viquarhcimca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Since License is expired u not be able upgrade it. 

Now u have to purchase new License and apply them , it wont impact anything . as ur environment is already impact with the expired licenses . adding the new enterprise license is coming out of the impact. 

or 

if you are in 7.x version try the new VSAN+ and vSphere+ . u can try the free version to explore more. 

VMware Cloud

Thanks & Regards,

Mohammed Viquar Ahmed

View solution in original post

4 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Do you speak about vSAN licenses.... Standard, Adv., Enterprise exists.. .or vSphere ESXi Ess Plus, Std. or Enterprise Plus?

1. No. Upgrading of a license is only possible if you have a license with valid SnS. So you need to renewal your lics first and than you can upgrade.  

2. Yes its possible to buy new vSAN Lics. But from a financially stand point it should be chaeaper to get a renewal. Just ask your VMware Partner for 2 different offerings

Yeah.... if you buy LICs you only can buy the rescent available version. You need to downgrade these after buying within the customer connect portal. After that you can apply the new keys to your infrastructure.

Regards,
Joerg

Tags (1)
AnaCopa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answer,

I mean VSAN STANDARD level licenses
all our infrastructure (vcenter, vsan, esxi) has STANDARD level licenses, but we are considering buying VSAN ENTERPRISE level licenses.

So you say that if I buy new licenses VSAN ENTERPRISE
1. add them to vcenter server
2. Assign to vsan cluster

That will not generate any impact on my production environment right?

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes.. its the same behavior as vCenter or ESXi. Just apply the new and higher license and move on. There is no downtime.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
viquarhcimca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Since License is expired u not be able upgrade it. 

Now u have to purchase new License and apply them , it wont impact anything . as ur environment is already impact with the expired licenses . adding the new enterprise license is coming out of the impact. 

or 

if you are in 7.x version try the new VSAN+ and vSphere+ . u can try the free version to explore more. 

VMware Cloud

Thanks & Regards,

Mohammed Viquar Ahmed