VMware Cloud Community
timalexanderINV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VSAN Host Profile Dedupe setting

So have recently been creating a new VSAN cluster and putting as much in to the host profile or scripts as possible.  Had created about two thirds of the cluster and then added fault domains and disk groups as well as enabling dedupe.  The issue with this final step is that subsequent hosts never become complient with the attached profile because of:

IncomplianceElementList : {option-OptionDefaultValueCheck:The options VSAN.DedupScope have been changed from their expected default values}

I have since turned off De-Dupe and Compression and re-tested compliance and everything has gone green.  I cannot see the option VSAN.DeDupScope anywhere in the host profile though.  Is this even something I can set?  Or is it that the new hosts do not have disk groups assigned yet that is causing the dedupe scope to not be applicable?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Tim,

Did the hosts that were  added have existing disk-groups?

Check the consistency of setting on new hosts vs old hosts (#esxcfg-advcfg /VSAN/DedupScope --get)

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2144279

Bob

-o If you found this comment helpful and/or answer please click the relevant button o-

0 Kudos
timalexanderINV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So hosts that were added did not have existing disk groups. 

What I have found is by turning off dedupe at the cluster level all hosts are now compliant.  Turning it back on now yields all hosts as being non-compliant.  So I am wondering where in the Host Profile do I enable VSAN.DeDupeScope so that it can validate the

option as correct?

0 Kudos
timalexanderINV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So managed to work this through by just adding the advanced setting in to the configuration of the host profile:

VSAN.DeDupScope = 2

This makes all hosts compliant now.  Hope this helps anyone else who has issues.

0 Kudos