VMware Cloud Community
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VSAN FACE SSD

HI

I am working in POC for VSAN. the poilt will be run ontop of 3 nested ESXIs . I faced 2 SSDs per each host. I could see that from the C# but I could not see two local SSDs fom vSphere web. Any tips and tricks

thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
darcidinovmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So, here is your issue, you have a VMFS on the SSD already. You need to delete the VMFS and then VSAN or Flash Read Cache will be able to claim it.

Here is the document from the 5.5 documentation but it's still applicable for 6.2.

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

And if you are trying to do read cache, you need enterprise plus licensing and here is the KB.

SSD not available to add as backing for VMware vSphere Flash Read Cache (2065563) | VMware KB

Doug Arcidino VCP-DCV 4/5/6, VCP-DTM 5/6/7, VCAP-DCV Deploy/Design 6 If this answer was helpful, please mark it as answer I work for VMware Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are strictly my own. I am solely responsible for all content published here. Content published here is not read, reviewed or approved in advance by VMware and does not necessarily represent or reflect the views or opinions of VMware.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
darcidinovmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Just trying to clarify, can you send a screen shot of one of the hosts storage screens?

Doug Arcidino VCP-DCV 4/5/6, VCP-DTM 5/6/7, VCAP-DCV Deploy/Design 6 If this answer was helpful, please mark it as answer I work for VMware Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are strictly my own. I am solely responsible for all content published here. Content published here is not read, reviewed or approved in advance by VMware and does not necessarily represent or reflect the views or opinions of VMware.
0 Kudos
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you Doug

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
darcidinovmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So, here is your issue, you have a VMFS on the SSD already. You need to delete the VMFS and then VSAN or Flash Read Cache will be able to claim it.

Here is the document from the 5.5 documentation but it's still applicable for 6.2.

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

And if you are trying to do read cache, you need enterprise plus licensing and here is the KB.

SSD not available to add as backing for VMware vSphere Flash Read Cache (2065563) | VMware KB

0 Kudos
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks alot.

Do mean by delet VMS is remove the datastore or formate the disk ?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VSAN needs raw disks, that means there should not be any Filesystem on the disks which you wan to use for VSAN. Deleting datastore will delete the VMFS from the hard disk and will make a disk as raw disk then you can use that hard disk for VSAN. So you need to delete the datastore to make disk as raw. Formatting it again with VMFS will not help. Hope this clarifies your doubt.

Cheers!

-Shivam

darcidinovmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

What Shivam said. You need to delete it and do not recreate it. The reason VSAN needs raw disks, in my opinion, is to keep people from creating vsan datastores by accident and destroying their data. This is my opinion but it is just something you learn to do the process right.

vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks alot,

0 Kudos
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is Host cash Configuration treat SSD by diffrent way than Virtual Flash Resource Management ? Reason is I can see SSD which is formated as VMFS but Vritual Flash see only Raw SSD

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

While claiming disks (SSD or any other type disk) under VSAN, the algorithm scans for all the disks in the system and show only those disks which are raw disks. It does not show any disk which has Filesystem on it so that user cannot format it, not even inadvertently.

Even while creating VMFS, UI will not show you the disks (SSD or any other type disk) which are already having VMFS on it. This is to protect the data on an existing filesystem so that user doesn't get confuse and reformat the disk causing data loss.

Hope this answers your query.

Cheers!

-Shivam

0 Kudos
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks again

0 Kudos
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hear what i get.

Thanks again

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
darcidinovmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are you trying to do VSAN or vFlash? If you are trying to use VSAN, you need to remove the filesystem from the 100GB drive by deleting the VMFS. You need to remove the 40GB device from vFlash and then configure your networking and enable VSAN. Then go into the VSAN management of your cluster and add the disk group.