VMware Cloud Community
riotsoho
Contributor
Contributor

VSAN Disk Latency Log/Monitoring/Alarming?

Because I'm very wary of disk latency in VMWare environments, I want to be able to alert or log or monitor disk latency at one or more of the following locations:

Individual VSAN Hosts

Individual VM Disk latency

vSanDatastore latency

I currently have SIOC logging sending latency measurements to ELK and am able to graph datastore latency and IOPs for groups of datastores.  However, this requires SIOC enabled on each datastore, and since I can't do that for the vSanDatastore, I can't do this and am sad Smiley Sad

Is there another way to grab this information out of either syslogs or maybe SNMP (zabbix) or even just setup Alarms in vcenter?  Getting it from syslogs would be ideal...

I've had one case of a VM whose latency slowly climbed up to about 200ms average for no apparent reason and I had to storage vmotion it off vsan and back onto it to get it back down to normal (<1ms average now).  I want to be able to alarm around this and possibly trigger a fix (migrate around again).

7 Replies
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

If you have vRealize Operations Manager the latest management pack for storage devices support vSAN.  You can then setup alerting in vROPs.  Thank you, Zach.

joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am pretty sure they will -at some point in the future- implement at least some basic stuff which vsan observer can give you in the vsphere webgui - thus making it possible to create alarms without the ultimate need for vRealize Operations.

0 Kudos
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

Maybe, but vRPOs/vCOPs is included with every level of vSphere licensing; so it seems like a good place to do it.  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Zach, i don´t think vRealize Operations (not even the standard edition) is included with every level of vSphere licensing. Where did you get that? We have Enterprise Plus Licenses and have to actually buy vRealize on top of that!

Only the vSphere with vRealize Bundles include these.

Check out

Buy VMware vRealize Operations: Intelligent Operations Management | United States

Compare vRealize Operations Editions | United States

Or did i miss something and it´s suddenly free at a basic level?

Best,

Joerg

0 Kudos
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

I think that's if you want standard or advanced.  Foundation is included with everything down to Essentials.  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos
elerium
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Foundation version of vROPs doesn't exist for ESXi 6.0, only 60 day trial. vCOPs 5.8.5 will still run in foundation edition.

VMware KB: Understanding Feature Accommodation between VMware vSphere 6.0 and vRealize Operations 5....

0 Kudos
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

Yep, I was wrong.  My apologies.  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos