VMware Cloud Community
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

VSAN Design

Hi,

I have a few questions for VSAN Design:

1. Is VSAN VMKernel port configurable using Standard Switches? If this is possible, I won't be able to use LAG/LACP right?

2. For VSAN Ready nodes, they are shipping with 10GbE SFP+ ports. Can I configure the nodes to use 10GbE Base T ports? (to utilize existing 10GbE Base T switches)

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

1. Yes, you can use Standard vSwitches, and yes Standard vSwitches capabilities are limited. However, all VSAN editions include Virtual Distributed Switch (vDS) (see https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsan/vmware-vsan-66-licen...), so you can use without Enterprise Plus licenses for the hosts.
  2. Any supported NIC should work. It should also not matter whether you use fiber, or copper (RJ45) SPF+ transceivers.

André

ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

So it means, I can still create and configure distributed switch even my license is vSphere Standard for hosts as long I am using VSAN?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I just double-checked with the latest vSAN licensing guide (v6.7), and as you can see in the table on page 4 (row 2), "Virtual Distributed Switch" is included in the vSAN licenses.

see https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsan/vmware-vsan-67-licen...

André

0 Kudos
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

So I can configure VSAN with vDS network even if the license is vSPhere Standard and VSAN Standard, since vDS is included and supported on all editions?

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi ChevUribe,

Yes. vDS is included with all vSAN licenses. This is so you can take advantage of NIOC, when sharing different types of traffic over the same interfaces. It is also important to check the vSphere HCL and make sure that you not only have certified NICs, but also have the correct combination of firmware and driver. Noticed I said "combination". Firmware and driver should be at the same level/release to avoid possible issues.

vSphere VCG - VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

More info about vDS on StorageHub - Creating a vDS

vSAN Network Design - VMware® vSAN™ Network Design

0 Kudos