VMware Cloud Community
AmazingTed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VSAN Cluster unable to see any disks.

Looking for some input on an issue im having...

Just built a VSAN Cluster with 3 old supermicro servers with MegaRAID 9361-8i RAID Contollers.

ESXi 6.7U2

vCenter VCSA 6.7

All drives connected to the RAID controllers, i have configured 2 disks on each server in a RAID1 and installed ESXi onto here, the other drives are JBOD's on the controller - This config should work as per VMWare KB article RE VSAN and non VSAN disks on the same Storage Adapter.

When i boot into ESX and add my hosts into the VSAN cluster VSAN will not see any of the disks on any of the servers.

I have checked using 'esxcli vsan storage list' that none of the disks have old VSAN partitions (Nothing Listed), used the UI to format and erase all partitions and also on teh storage conteoller, configured the JBOD's into a RAID0, done a BGI on them to completely wipe them and then dissolved them back into JBODs.

The hosts themselves CAN see the storage devices  but for some reason the VSAN cluster refuses to recognise them.

I HAVE used this hardware combination to build a VSAN cluster before approx 6 months ago, so i know that it works (This is our Backup validation environment), the only difference is last time i used a bare metal Windows 6.5 vCenter to build the VSAN Cluster.

Any input welcome!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello AmazingTed

It is a very common issue to not see claimable disks properly when using a vCenter of a lower major update version than the ESXi version e.g. 6.7 GA/U1 vCenter and 6.7 U2 hosts - this isn't supported.

Solution is to update the vC to the same or higher version or create the DGs via the CLI.

Bob

View solution in original post

4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved to vSAN

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello AmazingTed

It is a very common issue to not see claimable disks properly when using a vCenter of a lower major update version than the ESXi version e.g. 6.7 GA/U1 vCenter and 6.7 U2 hosts - this isn't supported.

Solution is to update the vC to the same or higher version or create the DGs via the CLI.

Bob

ritchiescholten
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Lifesaver!

Upgraded VCSA to same version as ESXi, Disks now discoverable¬

Great to know that for future.

Thanks.

depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Also note that from a support perspective it is typically required to have vCenter be at the same version or higher!

0 Kudos