VMware Cloud Community
bulabog
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VSAN 6.5U1 Witness Appliance

Hi,

I am currently setting up a 2 Node VSAN in our remote office. I've downloaded and deployed the latest VSAN 6.5 U1 witness OVF.

steps are all good, deployed -- assigned root password, IP addresess etc, however, the root password of the VSAN witness appliance keep resetting to a "not set" state every time the appliance is rebooted. So regardless of whether I set a root password or not, when it reboots -- the password is lost and the appliance ends up with no root password.

Is there a step that I am missing ?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
olafff
Contributor
Contributor

Just wondering, when deploying this OVF, did you pick Thin provisioning by any chance?

I had the same issue as you describe, but as soon as I redeployed it from scratch with Thick provisioning Eager zeroed - this issue was gone.

0 Kudos
mike-p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same problem with version 6.7 and 6.7u1.

Where  does the virtual disk type touch the root  password policy?

Regards

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

It would appear that the vSAN Witness Appliance is not being deployed properly.

The recommendation would be to deploy a new appliance.

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
HugoSarrazin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem with a 2 nodes cluster with the appliance 6.7 u1 or u2 . I tryed the u3 and it works well but my vcenter is u2 and cannot talk properly with the appliance.

What is the solution ? I tryed thin provisionning, thick, different datastore, different sizing, nothing works.

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

"Cannot talk properly" - Is this networking, or simply won't properly join the cluster.

It isn't until VCSA 6.7 U3 that we better support mixed versions in a cluster.

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
HugoSarrazin
Contributor
Contributor

"Cannot talk properly": many problems in fact:

- error message on the vcenter console

- do not see the capacity disk, event with the command line to force it

- hazardous behavious of the console in general

All those problems were gone after reinstalling the esx on 6.7u2 instead of 6.7u3

For my problem, i could solve it by installing the witness on another cluster and then do a storage vmotion, i still don't know why.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Hugo,

It isn't a supported combination to use vSAN 6.7 U3 (Witness or otherwise) and vCenter 6.7 U2:

VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

Multiple time I have seen (in GSS and here) issues such as you say with disk claim/management and general issues with Health - these are resolved by upgrading the vCenter so they can function as intended, is there a reason you cannot/won't upgrade the vCenter?

Bob

0 Kudos
HugoSarrazin
Contributor
Contributor

upgrading the vcenter implies upgrading Veeam, deep security, Citrix (MCS), and so on...

Many things talk to the vcenter now.

0 Kudos