VMware Cloud Community
Jimmy_J97
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Licensing Query

We have a licensing query. We are currently licensed for vSphere 6 Enterprise Plus and want to know if this allows for a clean install straight to 6.5 (the VMware licensing guide - https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2107538#Licensing a Standalone ESXi Host - says there is no 6.5 license and a 6.0 one works for an upgrade)  but we are doing a clean install at our 2nd data centre.  Could confirm this, please?

On a related subject we have a 6.2 VSAN license and wonder if that allows for a VSAN 6.6 install or is that an upgrade option?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mprazeres183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Jimmy_J97

This are two different topics, first you want to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.5 vSphere ESXi Host. To do so, you just have to go to your licenses portal at my.vmware.com there you can upgrade the existing 6.0 esxi licenses to 6.5 ones. So there you resolve the first question. Then regarding vSAN 6.2 or 6.6 U1, the vSAN is licensed on vSAN 6.x so you do not need to do anything, whenever you upgrade the esxi Hosts to 6.5 U1 you will have vSAN 6.6.1 and the license will still be working.

Good luck,
Best regards,
Marco

Check my blog, and if my answere resolved the issue, please provide a feedback. Marco Frias - VMware is my World www.vmtn.blog

View solution in original post

1 Reply
mprazeres183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Jimmy_J97

This are two different topics, first you want to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.5 vSphere ESXi Host. To do so, you just have to go to your licenses portal at my.vmware.com there you can upgrade the existing 6.0 esxi licenses to 6.5 ones. So there you resolve the first question. Then regarding vSAN 6.2 or 6.6 U1, the vSAN is licensed on vSAN 6.x so you do not need to do anything, whenever you upgrade the esxi Hosts to 6.5 U1 you will have vSAN 6.6.1 and the license will still be working.

Good luck,
Best regards,
Marco

Check my blog, and if my answere resolved the issue, please provide a feedback. Marco Frias - VMware is my World www.vmtn.blog