VMware Cloud Community
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware Cloud on GCP

Hi all,

If I have a VMware engine in google cloud:

1. Can we have 2 datastores? Is that possible when using vsan as google does in VMware engine?

As I could search (quick google search), with vSan there's only one datastore and you can't create another datastore in the same vsan... but for being 100% sure. vSAN is one datastore per vSAN cluster. You can setup iSCSI on the vSAN datastore and share it externally, but you can't create two vSAN datastores.

2. Can I access VMware engine via ssh? Is that possible or how to check/enable it?

3. Can I rename the google VMware cluster, same... how to check/modify the name if possible?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

PK

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@9990374530 I had a look at the release notes which shows when which features were added to GCP and cannot see HCI Mesh (which would allow multiple clusters to share their vsanDatastore with each other), this is also not listed in comparable Amazon cloud vSAN product https://core.vmware.com/resource/feature-comparison-vsan-premises-vmware-cloud-aws

So 1. No (as vSAN clusters only have one vsanDatastore unless another is shared from another cluster with HCI Mesh). 2. Very likely no - hosts on such platforms are generally not managed (or at least not fully) and thus not manageable via SSH by the end-user. 3. Possibly yes, typically only hostnames are not changeable in such a cloud.

If you want confirmation of these questions though, I would advise you ask Google cloud presales team.