VMware Cloud Community
RatnajitHCL
Contributor
Contributor

VMs hosted in VMware Integrated Openstack are not deleted from vSAN

Hi

We are experiencing an issue in VIO datastore.The resource of VIO (8.10) is based on vSAN. When we are deleting a VM from Horizon dashboard. There is no change in the storage of vSAN. Ideally if we are deleting a VM from VIO dashboard there should be some free space.

What should be done to resolve this issue?

Can you please help ?

Thanks

Ratnajit

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

Good morning, I don't if this is the case here, but some softwares have a hard time deleting things from vSAN.  Perhaps the tool you're using is one of them.  It has to do with which API is used and how it is used.  I had one software say they supported vSAN, but they hadn't actually tested it; just assumed it was like any other datastore.  After testing they found some problems and had to release a patch to properly support it.  Thank  you, Zach.

0 Kudos
RatnajitHCL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Zach,

Good Morning.Thanks for your response to my query. I am very new to VMware technology and trying to learn from documentation provided by VMware.

The VMware platform that we have is based on ESXi 6.0, vSAN 6.0, VIO 2.0.3, NSX 6.2.2.

The storage on which the VMs (resource VMs) are hosted is based on vSAN. We had recreated the vSAN again but we are seeing the issue not getting resolved. Whenever, a resource VM is managed by VMware Integrated OpenStack is deleted from Horizon dashboard there should be some free space. But we are seeing no change on the storage provided by vSAN. We are using all licensed products from VMware.

Is this a known problem? Can you connect me to some vSAN experts?

Regards

Ratnajit

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Hi,

How are you confirming that the VM was not deleted at storage level? Are you checking the storage utilization?

Do you know the actual VM in the ESXi/vCenter server level? When you create a VM at VIO level, it creates a VM on ESXi with some random id , so once you delete the VM at VIO console level, then you have to check if the actual VM is deleted at ESXi level.

I am suspecting that when you delete the VM at VIO console, the request was not passed to vCenter so that the actual VM is still residing on ESXi and vSAN storage level.

Are you seeing this issue for all VMs ? or random?

Can you perform this test?

1. Create a new test VM using VIO console.

2. Check if the VM is created successfully at ESXi level, you can check recent tasks at vCenter level for VM creation. Note down the VM name at vCenter/ESXi level.

3. Check the datastore utilization after creating the VM.

4. Delete the VM at the VIO console, check if you are able to see corresponding task (VM delete task at vCenter/ESXi level by launching webclient or vSphere client session)

5. once the deletion operation completed, check the difference in the vSAN datastore usage.

This will help you to isolate it further. Please update all your observation on above tasks so that we can go ahead with further isolation tasks.

Regards,

Suresh

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
RatnajitHCL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Suresh,

The VM gets created and there is a change in the vSAN storage. Then I delete the VM, the VM gets deleted from vSAN but there is no change in the total free space. The storage remains the same. At one point of time when the total capacity is exhausted then we had to disable the vSAN, remove the hard disks manually and then reinsert and enable vSAN. So, we are looking for a solution to this issue.

Thanks

Ratnajit

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Hi Ratanjit,

Then there is some issue with vSAN. So you have to focus on vSAN part. Check the clomd log under /var/log with the time stamp when you deleted the VM and check what is haissppening, and if space reclaimation is recorded. This issue may fill up your storage easily. Raise a case with VMware to check this immediately. Update your vSAN to 6.2 (nothing but ESXi 6.0 U2)which has many bug fixes.

Regards,

Suresh

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos