VMware Cloud Community
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VM on vSAN (Fault Domain or Streched Cluster config) poweron

I have a specific question. What happens, if I setup a streched cluster, and one of the sites AND the witness appliance dies? This question would also apply on a (yes I know, it is not supported) 2 Fault Domain setup? Can I still poweron a VM purely from the replica file, without having the active or the witness components to it? Thanks

*** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful! *** vExpert 2019, VCAP-DCA,VCP,MCSE,MCITS and some more...
Labels (1)
  • i

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is correct, if both fail at the same time then quorum is lost, which means you can't power VMs on.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So with vSAN 7.3 there was an addition to allow a 2-Node cluster to survive if one of the nodes dies and connection to the witness also dies.  I assume, that since a 2-Node cluster is essentially a stretched cluster that the same should hold true there as well, but not 100% sure.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

but that would only work Tibmeister if there's some time between those two dying. As this new mechanism changes the votes and it needs to do this:

https://www.yellow-bricks.com/2022/03/17/stretched-cluster-witness-failure-resilience-in-vsan-7-0/

If both fail at the same time there's nothing you can do unfortunately. 

0 Kudos
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks Duncan! Does that really means, that in case one of the sites AND the witness node fails, I cannot poweron the VMs purely from the mirror objects?

*** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful! *** vExpert 2019, VCAP-DCA,VCP,MCSE,MCITS and some more...
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is correct, if both fail at the same time then quorum is lost, which means you can't power VMs on.