VMware Cloud Community
kelwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDS Configuration for VSAN and ISCSI?

I am in the planning/testing phase of our hardware refresh and have convinced my manager to go with AF vSAN for our storage. With this refresh I will be implementing VDS (currently running VSS) and want to find the best way to configure it for our environment. We will be running this on 6x Dell 730xd w/ 6x10GB Ethernet ports each. Our Nexus will be configured with a 6 port ether channel for each node. I know this is a lot of bandwidth and many different configurations will work but I want to find a balanced configuration that allows adequate throughput for all component. I like the idea in Duncan Epping's blog (Virtual SAN and Network IO Control) of using NIOC but I also need to fit iSCSI into the equation. This is what I have so far but I question the NIOC shares allocated to iSCSI and the Active/Standby configurations. Thoughts?

TRAFFIC TYPEPORT GROUPACTIVE UPLINKSTANDBY UPLINKSHARES
MANAGEMENTdvPG-Mgmt1-5620
vMOTIONdvPG-vMotion1-5650
vSANdvPG-vSAN1-56100
ISCSI-AdvPG-iSCSI-A65?
ISCSI-BdvPG-iSCSI-B56?
VIRTUAL MACHINEdvPG-VM1-5630

It seems things have changed a bit in ESXi 6.0 and NIOC v3. Does the VDS automatically know what kind of traffic is being passed and apply the System traffic rules once NIOC is enabled? If not, how do I associate a dvPortGroup with a traffic type? Should I just create a single iSCSI dvPortGroup as well, make them all 1-6 active and let system traffic rules handle the rest?

Message was edited by: kelwood

0 Kudos
0 Replies