VMware Cloud Community
ManuelDB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCenter 7.0 and VSAN 6.7U3

Hello all,

I know that it is a supported solution, as VCenter now it's not more linked to VSAN version (Vcenter ver >= Vsan Ver), but I want to know if it's better to stay with VCenter 6.7u3g or it's better tu update VCenter to 7.0, considering that I can't yet upgrade VSAN stretched cluster over 6.7u3 because of controllers HCL.

Thanks for any suggestions

Manuel

9 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I wouldn't bother personally. I would stay on 6.7 U3 if it is stable and wait to go to 7.x when your hardware is supported.

ManuelDB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Duncan, so you suggest to stay with VCenter 6.7u3f and not upgrade it to 7.0 (mantaining VSAN 6.7u3 in both scenario) until full upgrade also the cluster to VSphere/VSAN 7, right?

andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Upgrading vCenter to 7.0 will not change the vSAN version of clusters with ESXi 6.7U3.

Only when you also upgrade all ESXi hosts in the cluster to 7.0 will the vSAN version update.

So you can upgrade vCenter to 7.0 (assuming you meet pre-requirements/compatibility) and then upgrade your hosts later.

Svedja
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually, vCenter 7 will REQUIRE vSAN7 licences. pre-vSAN6 licenses applied to clusters will become evaluation licenses and vSAN6 licenses cannot be applied after the vCenter upgrade

At least our vCenter does that. I had to upgrade our vSAN licenses to resolve the vSAN cluster license being "evaluation", so now I have vSAN7 license on vSAN6 clusters.

The hosts can stay on ESX6.x and there is no problem with their corresponding license.

And yes, I have an open ticked with Vmware support regarding this issue.

ManuelDB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback!

This was one of the thing that I was looking for, like graphical glitches or license compatibility because of new functionalities implemented on VCenter 7.0 vs VSAN/VSphere 6.7U3.

Will the VSAN license upgrade to 7.0 impact the 6.x cluster? I think not, but as it's a production cluster, all we don't want is to find our cluster read/only after 60-90 days Smiley Happy

Also times ago the support suggests me to keep VCenter alligned to VSAN version (at the time it was VSAN 6.7 and VCenter 6.7u1). I know that VCenter if now fully backward compatible with VSAN, but this suggestion from support makes me reconsider mixing versions (consider that most of the clusters where I work are simple single VSAN cluster with 1 VCenter and no other standard clusters inside).

Svedja
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As far as I can see there is no visible difference/change when applying vSAN7 license on vSAN6.7U3 cluster.

Everything works as expected, except if you have CPU with more than 32 cores per socket as that is the new max in vSphere 7.

vtparker
Contributor
Contributor

2 years later and I can tell you it's still an issue. great work VMware!

vCenter 7.0.3 upgrade

vSAN 6.7u3 goes into evaluation.  unfortunately upgrading the license to 7.0 works fine... until you get a nice little warning about not supporting stretched clusters in this configuration.  so I now have 4 days and counting to my expiry.  

is anyone asking WHY VCS 7 doesn't like or allow vSAN 6.7 licenses?  It's a common config and a huge mistake on their part. 

virtualqc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would stay on 6.7 U3 if it is stable 

BB9193
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We upgraded our vCenter last week and immediately our vSAN 6.7 cluster fell into eval licensing mode and we are unable to get it relicensed. 

Is this documented anywhere?  Is this a bug?