VMware Cloud Community
RolandoRodrigue
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using just 1 disk group All Flash vSAN

Hello, community

I have a scenario where I considering a 3-node All-Flash vSAN cluster. I read on blogvmware that putting more than 1 disk group is not for increase the level of availability but for boost performance. So, would the fact of having an All-Flash array compensates configuring only 1 disk group per node (talking about performance)?

I hope your comments, would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Rolando,

While All-Flash clusters do in general provide better performance than Hybrid ones, it isn't necessarily so straight-forward e.g. there is a massive difference between the lowest performance All-Flash configuration and those on the higher end of the scale.

The main things to understand when designing any cluster are to design it meet the needs of the workload - aim to find out as much as possible about the VMs, their IO sizes, IOPS and their read/write profile.

Then use this information and either do the math or use something like https://vsansizer.vmware.com/  to figure out what kind, size of and number of Capacity-tier disks and Cache-tier disks you will need.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Rolando,

While All-Flash clusters do in general provide better performance than Hybrid ones, it isn't necessarily so straight-forward e.g. there is a massive difference between the lowest performance All-Flash configuration and those on the higher end of the scale.

The main things to understand when designing any cluster are to design it meet the needs of the workload - aim to find out as much as possible about the VMs, their IO sizes, IOPS and their read/write profile.

Then use this information and either do the math or use something like https://vsansizer.vmware.com/  to figure out what kind, size of and number of Capacity-tier disks and Cache-tier disks you will need.

Bob

0 Kudos