VMware Cloud Community
Evan5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrade all SSD caching disks in hybrid VSAN

Hi - my current setup:

4 node vSAN running vSphere 6.2

3x Dell R720 with H710p mini PERC (Latest drivers)

1x Dell R730 with H730p PERC (Latest drivers)

10G dedicated vSAN switches/network

Each of the 4 nodes has:

2x disk groups each

Disk group 1 = 200GB SSD plus 5x 1.2TB 10K SAS

Disk group 2 = 200GB SSD plus 4x 1.2TB 10k SAS

I want to replace all eight of the 200GB SSD caching disks with new 800GB SSD drives that I have just bought.

I'm looking for advise around the best way to do this bearing in mind this is my production environment so trying to avoid any problems or down time (he says hopefully)

My understanding is that the procedure I need to follow is:

• Put the host in maintenance mode
  • Remove the SSD disk from the disk group via vSphere Web Client (Cluster> Manage> Settings>Disk Management)
  • Physically remove the drive from the host
  • Physically insert the new drive in the host
  • Add the disk into the disk group via the same method I used to remove it in vSphere Web Client (Cluster> Manage> Settings>Disk Management)

Some questions jump to mind around this procedure:

• Can I enter maintenance mode using "Ensure Accessibility" mode or do I have to do a full data migration which will take much longer?
  • As the whole host will be in maintenance mode and I have two disk groups per host, should I / can I remove and replace both SSD drives from both disk groups at the same time or should I do one at a time?
  • I don't believe I need to, but I will prefer to shut the host down completely before physically removing and replacing disks. Would you agree or not?
  • Based on the fact that I'm sure there will be a ton of data that needs to sync and move around, should I wait for that to happen before I do the same disk change on the next host? And if so, what are the implications of running the VSAN cluster in a situation that some hosts have different size caching layers in different disk groups? Depending how long it takes to move around and how much maintenance window I have it might take two or more weekends to do the work. Will it be ok to run the cluster in this manner for that period?

Any other suggestions or advice, feel free to shout.

Thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
elerium
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I don't have any experience with the Dell R720 and RAID0 setup of VSAN, you may want to use maintenance mode for those hosts to do your upgrade as I'm not sure how VSAN and H710 RAID0 work together. I have R730xd systems (H730 passthrough) and disk group operations and physical disks swaps don't require my nodes to be in maintenance mode.

For removing disks groups, VSAN will present different options (Ensure Accessibility, Full Data Migration, No Data migration). In your case you should be choosing Full Data Migration to ensure 2 copies of data are always present during your upgrade. These 3 different options are the same options for maintenance mode. Maintenance mode actually does the same thing except it won't remove the disk groups so as you can see either choice you make between removing disks groups or doing maintenance mode will result in similar operations being done by VSAN.

Data moving evacuation takes a long time Smiley Sad I have a 200TB cluster that took about 16 days to finish migrating disk groups. Disk performance DOES go down during these large moves, whether or not it will impact things just depends on your normal load. In my case it put a constant ~200MB/s of recovery throughput on my cluster and on average increased congestion to 50-75 (normally i see 0-15 values for congestion, at 100 you notice slowdowns, at 200 things are very slow, 220+ is unusable). On the plus side, VSAN does throttle recovery I/O depending on system load, during business hours resync speeds would slow down to 30-100MB/s and at night sometimes it would reach 300MB/s. In my own case I could tell my cluster was slower than normal but everything was still usable.

To minimize impact, you can kick off the disk group removal (or maintenance mode full migration) at the end of a business day or friday before weekend. It would give at least give resync a large window of time to do it's thing. It's possible it won't finish by the time business starts again but at least impact is minimized.

In regards to creating the 3rd disk group, while it would help, I don't think adding 1 spindle to each host is going to have any meaningful impact on performance for migration. Me personally, I would just destroy the old disk group and when you recreate it, you can add in the extra disk(s).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
elerium
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you're able to physically remove/add the SSDs while the host is powered on, the hosts don't need to be placed into maintenance mode and you can do disk operations while the host is online. If you can't physically remove/add the SSDs (raid controller doesn't support it or your SSDs are NVMe) while the machine is powered on, then you will need to maintenance mode and I would recommend Full Data Migration as this is production data. I don't see a benefit in this case of using maintenance mode if I don't have to.

There isn't a way to remove the SSD cache without destroying a disk group, so really you will be rebuilding entire disk groups one at a time to do your SSD upgrade. For this reason I'd recommend you use Full Data Migration instead of Ensure Accessibility as you need to rebuild the data anyways. If you use Ensure Accessibility, the rebuilding of the diskgroup will be done while your data is effectively FTT=0 and if some other failure occurs at this time your data will be lost.

To recap:

• In web client Cluster->Manage->Settings-Disk Management, remove the disk group using Full Data Migration
    • This will cause a large resync/data move, it may impact performance depending on your workload
    • Wait for the disk group to be removed before continuing
  • Physically remove SSD associated with destroyed diskgroup (make sure it's the right one!)
  • Physically add new SSD
  • Readd the disk group with new SSD

Rinse and repeat for each disk group and only upgrade one disk group at a time. The whole process can take a while as the the resync/data move step will of multi TB can take many hours.

If VSAN resync/data moves cause problems for you during normal operation, then you should wait for weekend or low load to do your upgrade. If you don't observe any performance issues during resync, it's okay to do during regular hours. This really just depends on how much IO load your cluster is normally under. I'm not sure if you've ever had to upgrade VSAN disk format versions where it does a rolling disk group replacement but your own upgrade here is going to be very similar to that. Your upgrade will have a similar performance impact to a VSAN disk format upgrade procedure.

Edit: clarification/reword on FTT=0 scenario

Evan5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Elerium - many thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed response, its much appreciated.

Couple follow-up questions:

• You mentioned that I should remove the disk group which will cause a full data migration. Bit confused here. Should I first put the host in maintenance mode (with full data migration) first....or will the process of removing the SSD in the web client do the same thing... and only then should I put the host in maintenance mode?
  • One thing I forgot to consider, when I put the new SSD drive in the server, I will probably first have to create a RAID 0 array on that drive, right?. The Dell R720 don't support pass-through. So just swapping the drive will or wont be enough?
  • Still worried that all the data moving and evacuation will take many hours/days so concerned how my cluster will operate in an extended period with 200GB SSD's and 800GB SSD's coexisting on different disk groups at the same time. When I last did my upgrade to VSAN 6.2 I think the disk format upgrade process took the whole weekend of about 3 days to complete.

I have a potential other option to consider and would love any feedback from you all.

Apart from having my new 800Gb SSD drives I also have 4x 1.2TB SAS drives that I am going to be adding to my VSAN capacity layer for extra disk space. I have been holding back on that because my caching level disk space was so low. So in theory I do have the option of creating a third disk group on each host with one 800Gb SSD and one 1.2TB SAS drive.

Do you think its a good option to create a third disk group, get it up and running and THEN remove one of the other disk groups completely and simply add the other SAS drives into the third disk group?

The advantage of this is that I will have my new disk group created with very little risk before I delete an existing disk group, disadvantage is that initially at least it will be a much smaller disk group alongside the other bigger ones but VSAN will hopefully cope with that.

Cheers,

(Edit: number of available SAS disks mentioned)

0 Kudos
elerium
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I don't have any experience with the Dell R720 and RAID0 setup of VSAN, you may want to use maintenance mode for those hosts to do your upgrade as I'm not sure how VSAN and H710 RAID0 work together. I have R730xd systems (H730 passthrough) and disk group operations and physical disks swaps don't require my nodes to be in maintenance mode.

For removing disks groups, VSAN will present different options (Ensure Accessibility, Full Data Migration, No Data migration). In your case you should be choosing Full Data Migration to ensure 2 copies of data are always present during your upgrade. These 3 different options are the same options for maintenance mode. Maintenance mode actually does the same thing except it won't remove the disk groups so as you can see either choice you make between removing disks groups or doing maintenance mode will result in similar operations being done by VSAN.

Data moving evacuation takes a long time Smiley Sad I have a 200TB cluster that took about 16 days to finish migrating disk groups. Disk performance DOES go down during these large moves, whether or not it will impact things just depends on your normal load. In my case it put a constant ~200MB/s of recovery throughput on my cluster and on average increased congestion to 50-75 (normally i see 0-15 values for congestion, at 100 you notice slowdowns, at 200 things are very slow, 220+ is unusable). On the plus side, VSAN does throttle recovery I/O depending on system load, during business hours resync speeds would slow down to 30-100MB/s and at night sometimes it would reach 300MB/s. In my own case I could tell my cluster was slower than normal but everything was still usable.

To minimize impact, you can kick off the disk group removal (or maintenance mode full migration) at the end of a business day or friday before weekend. It would give at least give resync a large window of time to do it's thing. It's possible it won't finish by the time business starts again but at least impact is minimized.

In regards to creating the 3rd disk group, while it would help, I don't think adding 1 spindle to each host is going to have any meaningful impact on performance for migration. Me personally, I would just destroy the old disk group and when you recreate it, you can add in the extra disk(s).

0 Kudos
Evan5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks again for the great info and apologies for the slow response but I had been out of the office on business.

I will follow your advise and just try and wait out the disk sync times. My only problem now is trying to find a quiet weekend...

0 Kudos
Evan5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just wanted to update this thread since I have finally completed the project some 6+ months later. In case anyone else needs to do the same, this may help.

At the time I was too busy with other projects and couldn't guarantee I could have this completed in one weekend, which as it turned out was a good decision.

So I decided to wait until the December shutdown period when most people are on leave and things are quiet in the office. I cancelled the leave I had planned which was not cool and did the change on the week before Christmas.

Another reason I had opted to wait is that I was planning on buying a new Dell server in the latter part of the year which I then used to storage vMotion some of my critical production boxes off before I did any changes on the vSAN cluster. I did this for two reasons:

1. I was paranoid
  2. Less data on the vSAN cluster meant less to move around during the changes.

My vSAN still had plenty of terabytes of data after the removal of the critical boxes though.

On Day 1 I removed the first Disk Group (full data migration) on Server 1 and waited. and waited. and waited.

It took many hours but finally finished successfully. I powered the server down and booted into the RAID controller interface, removed the first SSD from the first Disk Group, replaced with the new one, configured RAID 0 again and booted back into ESX.

I then added the new Disk Group back into the vSAN cluster. All went well but first I needed to mark my new SSD drive as an SSD drive, which was easy enough to do in v6.x

It basically took the whole first day to do just one Disk Group change. I repeated the same procedure for the second Disk Group on the first host and all went well again but took forever.

When it came to the second host I took a slightly different approach. I put the entire host into maintenance mode first, choosing the Full Data Migration option, this had the advantage of moving data off both Disk Groups at the same time. This still however took between 12 and 24 hours to complete per host. I left it running over night and when I came back in the morning it was either done or mostly done. I then took it out of maintenance mode, made sure all was good and then removed the first Disk Group, which now only took less than a minute to complete, rebooted, changed SSD and repeated the same for the second Disk Group. I only did one Disk Group at a time, I would suggest you do too if you are ever doing the same.

I then did the same for the remaining host machines, engage maintenance mode, wait forever and quick disk changes. In all it took the whole week to complete which was very tedious but I'm glad its done now.

Couple of  tips or things to watch out for:

• Make sure you know which disks are part of which Disk Group. You do not want to pull the wrong disk thinking its part of the disk group you just deleted. There is a very easy and brilliant way to confirm this by turning on and off the physical disk drive LEDs. You can do this by going to Hosts>vSAN-Cluster>Manage>Disk Management select the disk group and disk and then click on the Turn Locator LED on and off buttons. Easy.
  • Make sure you create the new SSD RAID 0 or Pass-through in the RAID controller the same as before or whatever it should be based on your controller and drive. Simply swapping disks wont be enough.
  • When booting the host, some of my hosts seemingly got stuck at the VSAN: Initializing SSD stage. It took what seemed like ages but finally the boot process continued and all was well. I suspect the bigger the SSD the longer the wait will be.

And that's it. Hope that helps if you doing the same.

0 Kudos